VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab ILP Experiences

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

I applied for ILP and had the contractor out to my home, unfortunately a lot of stuff they can do for me I have to wait till I get to my permanent living situation, I should only be here for about 2 years. However, they said if I can get my doctor to sign off on new reclining desk and chair than we can move forward. I've only seen this new doc once so I don't know how she will be with that. I want the reclining desk so I can keep my legs elevated due to the lymphedema, I'm on the computer for long hours and need to find a long term solution for my legs. I have to alternate between keeping my legs elevated and standing up which is a bit more challenging.

I don't feel very hopeful about getting the doc to sign off on a desk and chair, but maybe i'll be wrong.

11 hours ago, Tbird said:

they have turned me down for a scooter twice because i can still walk with a walker and they said once i get my knees replaced i'll be able to walk.

They cannot legally turn you down because you can still walk... please review the handbooks I have attached . It explains the requirement to issue a wheelchair or scooter. Even if it is denied you can complete a clinical  appeal which can go all the way to the Veteran's court if necessary.  I was first issued a scooter in 1999 due to my back injury that at times was so painful I would not leave the house at that time I could still walk but it was just painful. Even today I still have limited mobility even with dropfoot  and bad knees, but if I needed too I could still walk if I don't fall over from lack of breath,  due to COPD. Please, don't think that a denial from one person is the last word... Also,  if for some reason you lose all appeals  consider a scooter thru Medicare... I am positive any doctor in the private sector would give you a prescription for medicare to pay for the scooter. Also one last though. I still use a walker in my home and a cane to go from my house to my handicap van where  I keep my  wheelchair and use daily when I go out. The VA knows that I use the walker and a cane until I leave  my home..... they still give me a new wheelchair every 5 years... and they still pay for the adaptive equipment on my new van (@ $35,000) every two years....  I just don't get how they can turn you down, and frankly using a future knee replacement surgery to deny is not legal either.  That is like saying when you get your cochlear hearing implants you won't  need hearing aids so we won't give you hearing aids now.   Get your scooter and don't let them get away with the refusals.... best of wishes to you and praying you feel some pain relief....

( I should disclose that I have a rated dropfoot considered loss of use, but that had no bearing on getting a chair, because I can still walk with a brace , I just can't walk stairs).

Handbook 1173.6 Wheelchairs and Special mobility aids.pdf Handbook 1173.1 Eligibility.pdf

Edited by Richard1954
spelling

• Founder

well i met with my voc rehab counselor and she gave me a packet of what they recommended and told me my doctor has to sign off on it. so i made an appointment with my doc and went a few days early to drop off the packet so she would have it. doc office called and moved up my appointment to fill out the packet, so i got to my appointment and she didn't know about any packet, but said her nurse probably had it and she wouldn't be in till the afternoon and they would do it then. so i left feeling like not going to have much luck in this area. hopefully i'm wrong.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds pretty good to me Ms T.

14 minutes ago, broncovet said:

WomanMarine:  It will be helpful if you start a new post instead of posting your question in someone else's thread.  

They kind of get lost there.  

I had posted here previously and was posting update.