VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

kidney cancer second to Agent Orange

Rate this question

GBArmy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi guys:

I have  a good friend just diagnosed with kidney cancer. Navy veteran, PH for combat, PTSD, etc. Has anyone had any success tieing kidney cancer as secondary to Agent Orange?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Ok.  "Agent Orange" is not a primary disability.  These are:

https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/hazardous-materials-exposure/agent-orange/related-diseases/

I looked and did not see "kidney cancer" on that presumptive list.  But that does not mean you cant get SC for it.  

As always, get SC for "kidney cancer" by meeting the Caluza elements.  If your disorder is "on the presumptive list" it does make it much easier.  

"Kidney cancer" does sound like one of those on the list:  "Soft tissue" Sarcoma.  But, it would likely mean you need a doctor to say this is a "soft tissue" sarcoma, and I have no idea if, for sure, "kidney cancer" is a soft tissue sarcoma, but it sounds like it may well fit.  

In order to get SECONDARY SC, you only need "2" caluza elements, not 3.  They are:

1.  Current diagnosis.

2.  Your doctor's statement that your kidney cancer is "at least as likely as not" related to your Service connected condition.  Example:  If you were sc for diabetes, its well known that often is linked to kidney problems.  

Lastly, your kidney cancer could well be related to one of the other cancers on the presumptive list.  A doctor would have to so state.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, Bronc. I understand. I probably should have worded it a little better. I was looking for a lead to link Kidney cancer by way of a presumptive disease recognized by the VA. The idea of sarcoma is something that might be worth looking into. Obviously, he's going to need a good write up from a doc for nexus. Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

GB Army

Has your friend been checked for this

AL amyloidosis: A rare illness that happens when an abnormal protein (called amyloid) builds up in your body’s tissues, nerves, or organs (like your heart, kidneys, or liver) and causes damage over time

This is on the A.O. List as presumption