VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can dad go from SS to SSDI now that's he's SC

Rate this question

killemall

Question

My dad is 63

He retired from us post office at 55

He was under the old crs system and not the new Fers retirement system. So he paid very little into social security.

He did pay 4 years as while in the airforce

Then after retiring post office he worked at Wal-Mart for 4 years and paid into SS

He currently gets aprox $300 a month from SS

He has recently received a rating of 80% from the VA.

Is he now eligible to convert from regular SS to SSDI through the Wounded Warrior program and perhaps receive more money from social security?

Or is it too late?

Thank you

Hey Buck52, the crazy thing about social security is they go by an onset date.  As long as the onset date is within ten years I think the veteran would be good and they should use his military time but this vet issue is that  FERS retirement program.  I think this is one of those programs where SSA says a veteran is double dipping and screws the veteran.  If I am off please correct my thinking.

SSDI is normally approved for someone who cannot work... not someone who has already retired.. I do not think it is possible to go from Social Security to SSDI.. even if it were possible.. there is no monetary benefit to do it. Getting a new disability from the VA has no bearing on Social Security benefits.  Social Security also has nothing ....not a darn thing to do with any wounded warrior program.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, pete992 said:

I think this is one of those programs where SSA says a veteran is double dipping and screws the veteran.  If I am off please correct my thinking.

Not true.... I retired from Civil Service (FERS) which actually requires the retiree to seek social security benefits once FERS is approved when  the social security benefits are received,  the FERS retirement is offset based on the amount of SS benefits, which varies for each retiree. In many case the FERS retiree will pay money back too the FERS retirement system once social security is approved.

17 minutes ago, Richard1954 said:

Not true.... I retired from Civil Service (FERS) which actually requires the retiree to seek social security benefits once FERS is approved when  the social security benefits are received,  the FERS retirement is offset based on the amount of SS benefits, which varies for each retiree. In many case the FERS retiree will pay money back too the FERS retirement system once social security is approved.

Not sure who you are but you are not in this post thread but you fit the same category.  While in the military you paid in the Social Security program and as a civil servant you paid in the FERS program. So Social Security and FERS must adjust your payments. 

As an example,

My SSI when I turn 62 is about 1300,

When I reach full benefit age, my SSI will be about 1600,

And if I wait to max date of age 70, about 2050,

But, my SSDI amount is same as my full benefit of about 1600, I just checked.

So, technically, I could collect 1300 for a year or two and then get disabled and collect 1600.

I do NOT have to be retired to draw my 1300 at age 62.  So, yeah, I could be working drawing, and get injured, or become diseased, and draw 1600 etc.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

6 hours ago, pete992 said:

Not sure who you are but you are not in this post thread but you fit the same category.  While in the military you paid in the Social Security program and as a civil servant you paid in the FERS program. So Social Security and FERS must adjust your payments. 

What is your point....