VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service dog procedure

Rate this question

GoldenGabriel

Question

I tried to ask my doctor about it at my VA appointment about  the service dog process and he told me they don't do anything. I need to go to a dog trainer and bring the letter to him and he will sign it. 

That link to the website above suggests the doctor will give me a referral and then prosthetics will start the process? 

I'm confused and can't find any specific information. Help please 

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good luck with that one!  The "procedure" is VA tells us to jump in a lake.  Then, we seek other alternate sources, probably local to your community.  

I dont know your reason for needing a service dog, but that may make a difference.  Tbird got a service dog, but it wasnt through VA.  

are

I probably will have to start contacting some accredited trainers and ask them for advice. 

The doctor I got when I was in pain told me that there was nothing he could do and I should take up yoga! Asked me what I wanted from him and just stared at me. Told  me there's lots of people in this country who are in pain so suck it up and deal with it. I can't work anymore and they say they aren't allowed to give any sort of pain medication. I figured that I could get some relief from a service dog. It is really frustrating! 

I can't afford the $20k+ for a dog trained on my own.

Edited by GoldenGabriel

Last I heard they (va) we’re doing a research project on giving service dogs.  I don’t know if it even started.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would find another Dr  and look at Hamslice  link he put up

check with your community service Rep.

16 hours ago, ruby said:

Last I heard they (va) we’re doing a research project on giving service dogs.  I don’t know if it even started.

I need a dog for mobility and diabetes. I thought they were trying to add for PTSD but supposedly they were already giving them for mobility and blind. I think finding another doctor is my best option. I like the idea of using my VA benefits but it's miserable going to talk with this jerk. 

Are there other options for getting a service dog besides the VA that aren't so expensive?   I don't think I could train my own. 

Edited by GoldenGabriel