VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

tdiu how long does it last

Rate this question

stebarbar

Question

I was awared 100% tdiu by the BVA going back to 8/2016 as of 2016. My question is will the continue permanently and there wasnt anything saying  is was or not.I was 73 when was granted . thanks again

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Does the decision state, "no future exams are scheduled" or "Chapter 35 is established for dependents"?

Those phrases are VA speak for Permanent and Total.  

However, at your age 73, do you plan on going back to work?  If you do go to work FULL TIME, then your TDIU could be reduced.  

Frankly, at your age 73, a reduction in rating (unless you go back to work full time) is highly unlikely, but the VA is the first to point out the VA "can" reduce you if you have "actually improved under ordinary conditions of life".  

I say dont worry about it.  You can/should even appeal the effective date if you dont think its right.  I did.  

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

Does the decision state, "no future exams are scheduled" or "Chapter 35 is established for dependents"?

Those phrases are VA speak for Permanent and Total.  

However, at your age 73, do you plan on going back to work?  If you do go to work FULL TIME, then your TDIU could be reduced.  

Frankly, at your age 73, a reduction in rating (unless you go back to work full time) is highly unlikely, but the VA is the first to point out the VA "can" reduce you if you have "actually improved under ordinary conditions of life".  

I say dont worry about it.  You can/should even appeal the effective date if you dont think its right.  I did.  

it states schedular and chapter 35  service-connected disability,permanent in nature.  Will my wife get my compensation if I die. She also enrolled in Champ va  Thanks again for your help.

DIC has "certain eligibility criteria" and I dont know if you meet the criteria.  (DIC is "about" 1500 per month).  Your kids should get Chapter 35 DEA which is money for college if they meet the criteria.  (They need to start college before age 23, I think).  

READ the rules on DIC, or at least have your wife read them:

https://www.military.com/benefits/survivor-benefits/dependency-and-indemnity-compensation.html

There are 2 main criteria for DIC:

1.  You need to die of a Service connected condition OR

2.  You can die of "any condition" as long as you have been rated P and T (which you are) over 10 years.  In other words, dont die until 2016.  

Did you apply for the 10,000 of free life insurance for disabled Vets??  She should get that, provided that you make her the beneficiary and you apply.    To apply go here:

https://www.va.gov/life-insurance/options-eligibility/s-dvi/

Dont delay on that one!!

You can get more than "just" 10,000 dollars of life insurance but only the first 10,000 is "waiver of premiums" for disabled Vets, which means you dont pay for it.  

Its whole life insurance that builds cash value.  I have it.  I could "cash out" my life insurance for 4500 dollars, that is, they pay me 4500.  Or I can borrow about 4300 on it for about 5 or 6 percent interest.  (That is smarter, way smarter than cashing it out...I could keep the 4300 dollars and my wife would still get around 5700 when I die.  After 20 years, you can simply cash out the policy for 10,000.  You dont have to die to cash it out.  

ALSO:   Since you are P and T 100 percent you can probably get some other benies.  I dont know where you live, but my state waives most of my property taxes.  (My property taxes were about 1500 per year and now they are 400 per year, so that saves me around $100 per month.   In some states, I dont think disabled Vets pay ANY property taxes. )    You can call or go by your COUNTY tax assessor, and ask them what you need to do to appy for disabled vets property tax waiver or whatever your state calls it.

Edited by broncovet