VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% permanent and total but new exam

Rate this question

E5Navyguy

Question

So I am rated 100% permanent and total and have a letter.   When I received the 100% rating a year ago, it also mentioned no future exams scheduled.   I went today to get a copy from the VA so I could get my ID card for PX and Commisary access.  The ID place said I needed to have a copy of my DD214 and the 100 letter in hand.  I went over to the VA office on the base to have them print it.  They informed me that they had the letter for me, yet their system also showed that I was due for a PTSD exam next month. They mentioned so could get notified for an appointment or they could simply review my file.  Long ago, I did receive a rating for PTSD which they said could be Reviewed in 5 years.  Since then, my other ratings alone give me 100% for the permanent and total.  Why would the system still show a ptsd review due in February even though I’m already at 100% P&T.  I’ve not received any communication from the VA regarding this “exam”. Thoughts???

Edited by E5Navyguy

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Interestingly, we had a similar situation several years ago.  

You see, many Vets think that VA benefits "max" out at 100 percent.  That isnt true.  If you are eligible for SMC R/2, your rate is over 9000 per month, while 100 percent without SMC is about 3000 per month or about 3 times the 100 percent rate.  

IF your PTSD evalaution is favorable, and you wind up with a single 100 percent rating plus additional ratings that combine to 60 percent seperate and distinct, they you qualify for statuatory SMC S, which is an additional 370 per month.  

I suggest you go to the PTSD exam, if requested.  Either way, dont fret over it, UNLESS you have "actually improved under ordinary conditions of life".  

Your other conditions might be considered permanent but your ptsd might not be. Or, they scheduled it 5 years ago and it popped up on their calendar so, there it is. They probably never took it out of the system, dont not go, either, unless they tell you not to in writing or they cancel it.

Either way I wouldn't worry about it. Despite being p and t there are still Exams I have to go to for renewel of medication and yearly or a few times a year mental health in order to keep our adjust my meds.

Ive got a history of all the ptsd classes and 5 different medications I'm on.  I'm assuming that whomever looks at my file will see those records.  I don't have any other disability claims out there.  I guess im more paranoid now that I they have have tried to contact me but I haven't seen anything.    My biggest guess is that this was scheduled 5 years ago in the system when I got my 70% PTSD rating and was not deleted from the system when I moved to 100% P&T last year from my other pending claims being settled (and like I mentioned, got me to 100% without even needing a single rating from PTSD)

Edited by E5Navyguy

He just said exam, not c and p. It could just be a follow up from his MH provider. You still have to go to those of you want you continue getting med renewals.

There is no reason for him To worry out about an exam unleas it's a c and p, and even then they can't reduce you if it's a bad exam as long as you pay attention and dispute it in time.  Attitudes like this are what keeps veterans from going to appointments because internet people fI'll their heads with scare stories About that one time when, or that guy I heard about, and the next thing you know they end up worse off because something didn't get caught in time. 

Kowabunga.

Do you specifically look for things that Anyone says too piss you off, or just me? You can turn off the poor me martyr complex anytime. I didn't discredit anything you said but hey, you do you.