VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Moving overseas

Rate this question

tk3000

Question

Hello Folks,

After a horrible experience with crime I am considering leaving this country for good. I want to emigrate to Germany at some point. Living overseas creates a whole new set of potential issues regarding VA in terms of medications (would the VA ship them overseas?), appointment follow ups, and even potential C&P exams (even though in my last C&P the examiner stated that there would no likely probability of improvements for my conditions). The VA is known for its discrepancies, irregularities, errors, and for not follow its own rules and regulations; so even though I am may be entitled to some medical care overseas that would probably introduce a whole new can of worms in terms potential mistakes, errors, and wrongdoings on the VA side of things.

When the VA commits errors, mistakes, and wrongdoings the burden of dealing with them often fall on the veteran which then is translated into years of processing appeals,etc. Unfortunately we do not living hundred of years, and life is short; and the whole prospect of dealing with the VA administration again (after having had all my issues settled down by the BVA) is truly a nightmare. I, for example, have a BVA appeal which is going on for over 5 years and there is no prospect of any resolution any time soon. So it is all more worrisome if I am not living in the US.

So, I was wondering what insights, inputs, and opinions your guys would have about it. Maybe some of you may have experience living overseas whilst receiving compensation and benefits from the VA

The are some VSO communities around here. VFW is a big one. Also, You have to observe the laws also, I work for the US government. It would kinda behoove you to have some kind of  employment.

And yes I really enjoy myself. I grew up in Arkansas and moved to Indianapolis at 18 years of age. 21  I joined the military at 21, first duty station came to Germany and fell in love with country sides. I learned the language and it got so much better after this.

tk3000, while what you are doing seems a little extreme to me, I traveled extensively when younger and now no longer want to leave the US, you must do what is right for you.  Good job on learning the language and good luck with your endeavors.  We will still be there if you need anything and you can always contact us.

16 hours ago, vetquest said:

tk3000, while what you are doing seems a little extreme to me, I traveled extensively when younger and now no longer want to leave the US, you must do what is right for you.  Good job on learning the language and good luck with your endeavors.  We will still be there if you need anything and you can always contact us.

vetquest, thanks for sharing and for your kind words!

• Lead Moderator

tk3000,  I am assuming this is not thing only thing leading to this type of decision, just the one that broke the camels back?  Regardless there has been a lot of good advice give here, and I would defiantly start to learn the language of that place.  Next are you sure you want to move there?  There are more Vet friendly places, as the wife and I look to retire else where, but we are going to keep a home in the US.

I say do what is best for you and your family!  The rest you will figure out.