VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Moving overseas

Rate this question

tk3000

Question

Hello Folks,

After a horrible experience with crime I am considering leaving this country for good. I want to emigrate to Germany at some point. Living overseas creates a whole new set of potential issues regarding VA in terms of medications (would the VA ship them overseas?), appointment follow ups, and even potential C&P exams (even though in my last C&P the examiner stated that there would no likely probability of improvements for my conditions). The VA is known for its discrepancies, irregularities, errors, and for not follow its own rules and regulations; so even though I am may be entitled to some medical care overseas that would probably introduce a whole new can of worms in terms potential mistakes, errors, and wrongdoings on the VA side of things.

When the VA commits errors, mistakes, and wrongdoings the burden of dealing with them often fall on the veteran which then is translated into years of processing appeals,etc. Unfortunately we do not living hundred of years, and life is short; and the whole prospect of dealing with the VA administration again (after having had all my issues settled down by the BVA) is truly a nightmare. I, for example, have a BVA appeal which is going on for over 5 years and there is no prospect of any resolution any time soon. So it is all more worrisome if I am not living in the US.

So, I was wondering what insights, inputs, and opinions your guys would have about it. Maybe some of you may have experience living overseas whilst receiving compensation and benefits from the VA

• HadIt.com Elder

I was in Germany my first year overseas,(Tompkins Barracks) Swessgesengen <ms Germany bout 18 clicks from Mainhiem  <ms ,I made E-5 My first year and had a buddy that was E-6 he had his car sent over and him and I tour Germany and I got to see some very beautiful country, we had a couple of G/F friends from Sweden and they were in Frankfurt going to college, I notice the streets were very narrow and buildings very close together and pedestrians would sure walk close to the streets   , but the Guest Houses and pubs were many and the food & beer was great  actually the German people were very nice and always eager to teach their ways and culture.

I had a part time Job as a beer back and bouncer at the local EM Club for the last 6 months of my tour.

I loved Germany while I was station there but sure didn't like the Winters

just never thought about living there I seen a lot while I was there.

I wish you well I know you will love it there.

Edited by Buck52

24 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I was in Germany my first year overseas,(Tompkins Barracks) Swessgesengen <ms Germany bout 18 clicks from Mainhiem  <ms ,I made E-5 My first year and had a buddy that was E-6 he had his car sent over and him and I tour Germany and I got to see some very beautiful country, we had a couple of G/F friends from Sweden and they were in Frankfurt going to college, I notice the streets were very narrow and buildings very close together and pedestrians would sure walk close to the streets   , but the Guest Houses and pubs were many and the food & beer was great  actually the German people were very nice and always eager to teach their ways and culture.

I had a part time Job as a beer back and bouncer at the local EM Club for the last 6 months of my tour.

Wow, Thompkins barracks was my second home for a long time because of the Craft shop that was there. I was in Mannheim for a while as Motor Sergeant for 4 years for EOD guys. That was my last duty station.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes lot of crafts and things to do I loved the floors in the barracks and the old cases where the German Army would put their rifles in the brezz way inside the barracks

Unfortunately  they gave the land and buildings (Thompkins Barracks) Back to the German Gov.  the EM Club I worked at was just across the street from the Guard house main Entrance. 1968 when I was there and came down on levee for RVN the next year 1969

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
57 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Yes lot of crafts and things to do I loved the floors in the barracks and the old cases where the German Army would put their rifles in the brezz way inside the barracks

Unfortunately  they gave the land and buildings (Thompkins Barracks) Back to the German Gov.  the EM Club I worked at was just across the street from the Guard house main Entrance. 1968 when I was there and came down on levee for RVN the next year 1969

I lived in Darmstadt as a dependent in the 1970's and was at Landstuhl on active duty in the 1990's, so I got to see the country before and after the wall came down. Before it came down, on Saturdays everyone would take time cleaning and beautifying the area in front of their house. Afterwards, I didn't see it near as much. One thing that caught me by surprise was coming across a parking lot in Kaiserslautern near the Massa market and it was taken over by gypsies with trailers. They were friendly though, but I just had never seen anything like it before.
  Spent plenty of time at Bad Tölz, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Wiesbaden, Mannheim, Landstuhl, Kaiserslautern, Ramstein, and Vogelweh. I am hoping to get over there sometime to visit friends, eat tasty food, and drive on the autobahn again.

13 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

tk3000,  I am assuming this is not thing only thing leading to this type of decision, just the one that broke the camels back?  Regardless there has been a lot of good advice give here, and I would defiantly start to learn the language of that place.  Next are you sure you want to move there?  There are more Vet friendly places, as the wife and I look to retire else where, but we are going to keep a home in the US.

I say do what is best for you and your family!  The rest you will figure out.  

Shrekthetank1, yeah, you are right; that horrible episode really broke the camels back. I had the intention to live in Germany when I was a teenager but life came in the way and eventually it faded away. I definitively appreciate all the advice, input, and insight that I am receiving here!

I know some German, but I find myself reading most of the time instead of talking… so it is easy for me to read rather than understand spoken language. Currently, I am studying to attain a certificate in German language that the German government accepts (it is a test taken at the Goethe Institute)

I am single with no kids, so it is just me and myself which makes things easier at first. I have a condo unit where I live, at first I plan on keeping it too; but in the future I plan of selling it.

I guess we are never 100% sure of anything. But I like the language even though I am not fluent yet, and I had that imminent desire to move there in the back of my mind… One thing that weighs against relocating to Germany is the cost of living that is high and increasing in most cities. On the other side, being in central Europe makes it also easy to explore other countries in the vicinity

12 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Buck52, thanks for sharing and your positivity! Yeah, in spite of what happened to me last year I feel excited again about this move!