VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD/TBI

Rate this question

CavScout19DRecon

Question

Hello,

I am currently rated @ 60%.  30 for PTSD, 20 for left foot, 10 for right foot and 10 for hearing loss.  I put in a claim recently for TBI due to a vehicle explosion I was next to in Iraq in 2011.  My memory is horrible and I just never claimed it in my initial claim, so I filed it in December and got 2 buddy statements from 2 other soldiers that were there.  The TBI exam they sent me to was 2 hours away and lasted about 10 minutes.  It involved asking me about my childhood growing up, any sexual trama as a child and how my relationship is with my parents.  I was never abused sexually or physically as a child and I have a fantastic relationship with both of my parents.  I was extremely confused about those questions but I just let it go and didnt ask the Dr why she was asking those questions.  The next day a PTSD Increase popped up on my VA.gov, so I now go to a CP exam next week.  Are they trying to lump these together?  Is there no CP exam for TBI cause I was seen at the VA for TBI earlier in December?

Here are some snippits from the Health Report for TBI.  Not sure what they are going to rate me based off of this

21. Based on the history of the injury and the course of clinical symptoms, did the Veteran sustain a TBI during OEF/OIF/OND deployment? Yes

15-A. Feeling dizzy: Mild

15-B. Loss of balance: Mild

15-C. Poor coordination, clumsy: Mild

15-D. Headaches: Severe 15-E. Nausea: Mild

15-F. Vision problems, blurring, trouble seeing: Mild

15-G. Sensitivity to light: Mild

15-H. Hearing difficulty: Moderate

15-I. Sensitivity to noise: Mild  

15-J. Numbness or tingling in parts of my body: Moderate

15-K. Change in ability to taste and/or smell: None

15-L. Loss of appetite or increase appetite: Mild

15-M. Poor concentration, can't pay attention: Moderate

15-N. Forgetfulness, can't remember things: Moderate

15-O. Difficulty making decisions: None

15-P. Slowed thinking, difficulty getting organized, can't finish things: None

15-Q. Fatigue, loss of energy, getting tired easily: Moderate

15-R. Difficulty falling or staying asleep: Very Severe

15-S. Feeling anxious or tense: Severe

15-T. Feeling depressed or sad: Mild

15-U. Irritability, easily annoyed: Severe

15-V. Poor frustration tolerance, feeling easily overwhelmed by things: Mild

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

CavScout19DReco  Your initial screening is just that; initial. Since the VA has an obligation to get you the highest rating possible, they have to consider PTSD as well as TBI. Some of the symptoms between the two disabilities can overlap, and since PTSD can result in a much higher disability rating, they chose to list it as the disability right now. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look up the symptoms on PTSD so you will be a little more comfortable with the process. But above all, go to the exam; don't miss it. That would result in a denial of your claim. Be open and answer their questions, and do so thinking of your worse experiences, not just how you feel right at the moment. And try to be calm and not argue; it will probably turn out better that way for you.