VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing for increase without IU?

Rate this question

JWMN89

Question

I saw a VSO yesterday who recommended I file for an increase without also for IU.  He said my records and DBQ meet 100% and that this is preferable to IU.  I was under the impression it was best to apply for both and that the rater would place me in 100% over IU if I meet 100.

Should i go along with the VSO or ask him to file for IU at the same time anyway?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

IMHO, 100% scheduler vs. 100% TDIU actually pays the veteran the same benefits.  A 100% scheduler veteran can legally work and make all the money he/she wants. Be forewarned that VA could still try to re-evaluate you.  A 100% TDIU veteran can only work in some type of sheltered environment (family business) or very, very low income but VA could still try to re-evaluate you.  To me the higher rating is the 100% scheduler.  I thinking that you may have multiple disabilities that your overall rating would be 100% compared to just one disability.  Others may chime in but it is your call.  Do your research and find out which is best for you.  Now if you get P & T (Permanent And Totally) which you can get with both scheduler and TDIU, VA will most likely not try to re-evaluate you.  Most likely doesn't mean they (VA) won't try. I have seen VA to some really bad things.

I would personally file for both.  I filed for TDIU and received TDIU and scheduler both.  The TDIU allows for SMC S if they claim one condition is responsible for the TDIU.  Either way you cannot lose if you get them both, you just cannot work but that might be a moot point already for you.

As for the VA re-evaluating you; never let your guard down.  I am P&T but before I got that the VA tried to sever one disability and reduce another.  Appeal if they try to do this but never think they will not try. 

Edited by vetquest
puncuation

I am 70% for PTSD alone.  It's a static rating now and I'm in my mid 50's.  The VSO cited some state benefits like property tax and license plates as his reasoning.  

There is always a warning when it comes to being rated 100% for PTSD or any mental disability.  You are not allowed to have any fire arms.  Oh by the way,  when I helped a veteran with this rating, I forewarned him that VA will try to say that he was incompetent.  He told me he could not work and wanted to continue, as soon as VA granted his claim they also stated the veteran was incompetent to handle his own funds.  He didn't care because he had/has a good wife who did their finances.