VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Armyman2069

Question

Has anyone claimed Sleep Apnea after they go out of the military and linked it as a secondary to PTSD. I am working with my VA Doctor and she says that might be the case. Trying to see if there is any other paperwork besides the Doctors letter I will need to add. I just know from this and other sites people talk about not having or missing paperwork that they were never told they needed. My Doctor is filling out the VA Form 21-0960L-2 Sleep Apnea Disability Benefits Questionnaire is there anything else I might need?

5 answers to this question

You can try posting your dbq or nexus letter, then hadit members may opine if they think this will suffice.  But we have not seen the IMO/IME/DBQ, so we dont know if you have the required nexus or not.  

Your nexus should state that "its at least as likely as not" your PTSD caused your sleep apnea.  

You need still more for a good nexus letter, but that is a start.  

In my win at the BVA, not for sleep apnea, I submitted two IMO's.  The Board awarded a service connection on the basis of one and ignored the other.  It is a sad state of affairs where the veteran needs an IMO that they have to pay for up front but it is the VA today.  A denial by the RO and an appeal with an IMO to the BVA can make a decision go in your favor.  I personally would not get an IMO until you have to go before the BVA.  A negative ascertain by the VA and a positive IMO brings into play the reasonable doubt syndrome.  If you are looking at a large retro you almost have to go to the BVA.  I used a local doctor who specialized in IMO's.  Others have used national doctors that specialize in VA IMO's.  Good luck and if you must use an IMO but not until the BVA normally.

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is my 2&3 cents

If your claiming  secondary sleep apnea to your PTSD you will need a Sleep Apnea diagnose  from a sleep study or qualified Dr  and Qualified Dr to state that he has read your medical records and examin you and that it is his medical opinion that your sleep apnea is LEAST LIKELY AS NOT related to or caused by the medications you take for your  S.C.PTSD (He needs to name them) and give a rational comment about them ,and a C-PAP machine Has been prescribe for this Veteran that is medically necessary for him to use every night.

OR Something close to this.

Edited by Buck52