VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any ideas?

Rate this question

taylor88be8

Question

Finally decided to call and talk to the VA board of veterans appeals today and the guy said on February 5th the judge sent my claim for a “Brief” to my power of attorney which is the DAV or Disabled American Veterans. 

Does anyone know what a “Brief” is for the DAV? 

just curious 

Thanks 

• HadIt.com Elder

taylor88be8 Skrek is on the right tract. A Brief is a summary in legaleze of what the facts are and also the appropriate precedents laws/rulings that should apply would be so the Judge doesn't have to wade thru the weeds. It's what lawyer do.

National VSO's often write a "brief" for a Veteran.  The idea is they review your file, and "make a case" for the decision maker to award benefits.  

Attorney's, also do this for Veterans when represented by an attorney.  Except the attorney is "not only" getting big bucks for doing this, but his paycheck is "directly dependent" on the outcome of the case.  So, which do you think would do a better job?  A VSO (not trained in law) who gets the same check each week, OR, an attorney who has gone to college for 8 years to learn law, AND, he himself has a "vested interest" in the outcome of your claim?  

I know which one will do a better job, because I have had both attorneys and VSO's.  Which do you think won the majority of my benefits for me?  You guessed it, the attorney.  

Broncovet is right on here.  I had a case that was eight years old and the VA started doing things that were in violation of the laws.  I went to a lawyer and all of the bad stuff went away and after two years I was awarded TDIU and 100% scheduler.  I cannot say enough about using a lawyer. 

I wish it was not that way but when I started my VA claim you were not able to be represented by a lawyer.  A vet had sued the VA and won and the VA unearthed a civil war regulation that said your lawyer could not be paid more than $100 or so and struck the case down.  I do not remember the year but that went away and we are able to use lawyers.  Try to get a NOVA approved lawyer and most will charge 20% of your backpay, any more than that look somewhere else.

So the board of veteran appeals wanting a brief from my power of attorney, they requested the brief yesterday from the DAV, doesn’t mean good or bad news?  

just continue to wait.  Lol..  Do they usually request “briefs” often when your appeal is with board of veteran appeals? 

thanks for the responses!