VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

RFE (routine future Exam)

Rate this question

bojack

Question

I need some help everyone. My ptsd and tbi been rated and service connected about 6 yrs now and I have been ordered to attain RFE routine future exam this coming Friday. I just found out today. 

I have never been to RFE before. Are they trying to lower my rating? I just had to hire lawyer to get my job back due to work trying to fire me 2x so far for being unfit for duty saying I have been involved way too many fights and broke my hands 2x at work. I have all the legal documents about the fights and been going to VA hospital every other month and take multiple medications as well. Do I have to take those documentation and files with me to c&p exam?

is this normal from VA to conduct re-evaluation every 5 years or so?

• Lead Moderator

I used to do this and it took a ton of therapy and working on myself to catch this type of behavior.  Your emotions run high like mine and we jump to fight or flight mode almost instantaneously.  I taught myself to catch these triggers and if it happened when someone else was there or set me off, I would ask the person to sit down and to explain what just happened and how I felt.  This can be very hard for us MEN!  We are all taught not to have emotions, so when we do we will take it to the extreme.  

For me meditation works very well.  If I feel a trigger coming on I will ask the person to give me a second while I center myself and then ask what they meant by what they just said as some of the time it was not what I thought it was at all.

It takes a long time to build relationships for us and we do need help along the way.  I have found once people understand me, they can better deal with me if there is an issue. 

• HadIt.com Elder

As for as therapy   if you don't understand what the therapist is saying or her/his meaning   then therapy won't help much.

I run into this  the last 5 years or so  understanding  different methods of therapy, so if you do not understand what your therapist is saying to you  then call her out and say  you do not understand...the fight or flight is a good example  

I have a problem with what they say to me  I mean just because they use a method to calm you down  don't necessarily mean it will help you .

Breathing tect helps me calm my anxiety   but when your out in public and anxiety hits you   its hard to over come it,,,I usually go to the rest room wash my face and just stand there for a while, my therapist said  if you find something that will calm you by all means use that method.

Veterans with  CHRONIC PTSD Must find a way to calm themselves  no matter what it is , as long as it don't harm you or other people and a Veteran must Click with his therapist  to be able to learn more tools to use  to cope with this terrible  diseases.

They are several means of different therapy   you just need to find  a therapy that you understand.

• HadIt.com Elder

Shrek This kind of explanation goes a long way for us. Not only to veterans who have your symptoms, but even to those of us that just haven't had a lot of exposure to people that have struggles like you. Because you have been on here for a long time, people take notice when you offer advise. Keep on doing it; the same for everyone. Sharing info and personal experiences is what makes Hadit so helpful.

All I can say is I do my best to cope and stay calm. Generally I am a nice guy and will help anybody. the smallest things set me off. Things I think are common sense that the normal person don't see it that way is another instance that drives me bat sh#t. I thank God it has never gotten violent with me, close. I always seem to snap out and I have to get out the vicinity for a little while.

Edited by Miken2c74
additional words