VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tension Headaches

Rate this question

Fat

Question

Veteran group member was diagnosed with Tension Headaches in the US Marines Corp.  He initially was told it was related to his eyes; however two subsequent sick call visits notated tension headaches. He complains of occasionally awaking with pain in the back of his head and head wetness. He has been referred to a neurosurgeon by his primary doctor. I have been busy, just returned from Pensacola, Florida visiting my brother, however I assured the veteran I would get an answer. What is the rating criteria for tension headaches and is there specific language needed in the nexus. He is currently being prescribed medication, but I want him to have all the information if he files in the future. He has spoken to a VSO, but they were slightly negative about filing twelve years after leaving active duty. Thanks for the help........

NEVER GIVE UP.......

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Per your request:

§4.124a   Schedule of ratings—neurological conditions and convulsive disorders.

8100   Migraine:  
With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability 50
With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month over last several months 30
With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 months over last several months 10
With less frequent attacks 0

I recommend he keep a migraine diary even if he does not go to the doctor for treatment. Be certain to note any symptoms he may experience, such as visual distortions (aura), pain level, light/sound/odor sensitivity, nausea/vomiting, or amplified pain when moving/coughing/sneezing. Don't forget to note what he did to handle it (i.e. doctor, OTC meds, lay down, turn lights off, etc...)

Below are the definitions of "prostrating", which basically means to lay down.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prostration

image.thumb.png.320c4b0aeefa1af450a8eaf44dd705d6.png

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prostrate

image.thumb.png.a5e0029d136c97419512fc7e2f0f66a7.png

• HadIt.com Elder

Fat Here is the DBQ for headaches. VA Form 21-0960c-8 https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960C-8-ARE.pdf He is going to have to show that he had them by way of his STR's;  have to be diagnosed with them now by a doc, and will need a nexus. It would help a great deal if he has used the same doc ever since he was discharged and the doc would certify to that fact. That would go a long way on the nexus. If he has a wife or friend/family member that could provide a buddy letter, talking about his having these headaches since he returned home,  I think that would also be a big plus. Without a opinion from a doc on the nexus, I doubt if he would have much of a chance; 12 years is a long time for this kind of disability. IMO

I was rated for headaches ten years after discharge.  It is possible if it is in his service records as headaches can wax and wane over the years.  He needs to start keeping a headache diary, which can be found on the internet, if he wants to show his headaches are chronic and to what level.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I just added a blog article. It covers the basics, but also includes the VA's clarification in M21-1 of "severe economic inadaptability" and potential for extraschedular consideration for total disability.

I applied for prostrating headaches nexus from  a va doc.  The va never rated them but mention I had them  in my rating due to to my cervical arthritis from an injury in service. That has causes me bilateral radiculopathy which I get 20% for but it took a hearing to get everything.

keep a log, get a nexus. Fight any no.