Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Gerd DENIED, next move?

Ramp Ape
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

750947308_GERDDENREDACT1.thumb.jpg.fcccff822e9adb4b17deed8402623c55.jpgI recieved my denial letter for GERD secondary to DDD, what would y'all recommend my next course of action?829973154_GERDDENREDACTPG2.thumb.jpg.8ac57fd4e32f5cd4290e1a38d89216a2.jpg

GERD NEX REDACT.jpg

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This section of the rating decision which matters for service-connection (SC).

Dr. Filner provided a statement contending your gastroesophageal reflux disease is related to anti-inflammatory medication used for your service connected degnerative disc disease, L3-4 with intervertebral disc syndrome. The statement does not contain required language of a medical opinion nor the specific medication used (38 CFR 4.6)

They looked at DBQ at SECTION VIII - REMARKS: "His service in the military contributed to his severe GERD".

That is very vague and does not contain sufficient medical rationale.

For a better idea of what they look form please check out this article on VA's M21-1 web site:

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D - Examination Reports

Article ID: 554400000015812

https://www.knowva.ebenefits.va.gov/system/templates/selfservice/va_ssnew/help/customer/locale/en-US/portal/554400000001018/content/554400000015812/M21-1-Part-III-Subpart-iv-Chapter-3-Section-D-Examination-Reports?query=examination

Because you are working to get secondary SC, the nexus must be specific and tie your current disability (back) or the side effects of meds used to treat it (NSAIDs) to your current gastro issue.

Here are a few elements that are missing (see the M21-1 link for VA details):
1. What NSAIDs are prescribed for your back?
2. What are the side effects of the NSAIDs you are taking?
3. Are your gastro issues related to NSAID side effects?
4. And the VA's preferred nexus jargon:.

50%/50% As likely as not due to
75% more/most likely due to
100% caused by/due to

That last question should be reinforced by medical rationale to tie NSAID use to your gastro issues. When I filed my gastro claim, I included the paperwork that came with the medication and noted the side effects I was experiencing. 

This information does not necessarily have to be submitted on another DBQ. It might be easier if they can write a separate letter on their office letterhead, but be sure they indicate they are clarifying their findings on the DBQ dated MM/DD/YYYY. 

I included his Nexus letter in my first post, I should have added it to the DBQ post, my bad.

• Thanks 1

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

That nexus looks very good, except it only refers to "high dose NSAIDs". It never mentions which NSAIDs you were taking. Your pharmacy can print out a list of medications you were prescribed and provide that to the VA. Include a statement indicating which meds are NSAIDs. It would not hurt to get the doctor to write an addendum letter indicating the meds that were prescribed, doses, and how long they have been given.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is very interesting to  me.  I am about to file for Gerd, Hiatal Hernia, Barrett's, etc.  Last year I had some issues with swallowing and regurgitation went to the VA clinic and they sent me to the VA hosp for an exam (scope down the throat) and I was diagnosed with Barrett's, etc..  Biopsies came back negative for cancer.  Thank God...

Not sure at this time how I will make the link.  I have one mention on heartburn in my SMR from back in 04'.

However, I am SC'd for and take meds for HBP, DDD, DJD, and Omeprazole for Gerd (not SC'd) as well.  I am also SC'd for lower back, arm, shoulder and neck pain and prescribed Naproxin for that for over 10 years.

I might go scattershot and list all possible contributors and let them decide as I have done in the past.

I started a month ago, but my printer took a dump.  

Up and running again,

Hamslice.

Thanks for posting the DBQ, that will help a lot for the pre-exam study session, LOL..

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can
  • Like 1

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines