VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC (k)

Rate this question

MPsgt

Question

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I have not seen anyone report that happening. I looked up SMC, but didn't see where the sense of smell was in the criteria. For what it's worth, in one of my college psychology classes, I learned that when people can lose their eyesight and hearing, they end up having depression or other issues. But they said that the losing the sense of smell can be the most debilitating. If he is rated 0% SC for it and has experience depression or other mental health issues, consider filing for secondary disability.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.350

• HadIt.com Elder

MPsgt Vync must be on the right tract. 38CFR 3.350 for SMC's doesn't list "sense of smell" but it does list other senses, namely sight and deafness. If you are s-c at 0%, i'd like to see the decision letter and see if if offers any rationale. in the findings. If you're rated at 0%, there MUST be a way to receive a  higher rating. Maybe, as Vync suggests, you could get it thru depression/MH. Have you ever had any issues that make you consider that you have behavior issues symptomatic of depression, etc.? If yes, then I would request an eval thru your doc for a referral. Better yet, get an independent eval and if positive, submit a claim. As a secondary, I think you're going to need that doc's opinion of the connection. Also wondering if it was s-c because of chemical exposure. If so, there are potential other things to explore, such as headaches, migraines, depression (again). You are doing the right thing. Anytime a veteran has a s-c condition, he/she should step back and do an good self-eval on any other physical and mental issues they might have and explore if there could be another disability. 

I lost my sense of smell and when I did I also lost my sense of taste (my two are not service connected). Did you also lose your sense of taste? I find the following ratings for the two:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=9326662dc5925f175acd349f6883a4dd&mc=true&r=SECTION&n=se38.1.4_187a

§4.87a   Schedule of ratings—other sense organs.

Rating
6275   Sense of smell, complete loss 10
6276   Sense of taste, complete loss 10
Note: Evaluation will be assigned under diagnostic codes 6275 or 6276 only if there is an anatomical or pathological basis for the condition.