VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Many Times Can You Utilize VocRehab?

Rate this question

FlyHigh1995

Question

According to Ebenefits, I have about 12 months left on my current VocRehab contract. This is the first time I’ve used Vocrehab. I completed my VocRehab education over two years ago. Still no gainful employment. My counselor elected Business program (certificate) because I used GI bill for useless business degree (I didn’t know it would be useless at the time)lol...and denied my request for nursing school with no explanation, even though I was a nursing assistant and had all nursing pre reqs done. To me it’s common sense that if my business degree is useless why would counselor choose another business program for me? Initially he denied me any services and only obliged after I sent him emails quoting Voc rehab Regs and letting him know I KNEW what I was entitled to. Now, I’ve been accepted into a competitive nursing program which cost 3x less than the Business program counselor chose for me. The only work I can find Is as a nursing assistant making $10 ph. Does anyone know if I can appeal and request to use VocRehab for nursing? Funny enough two of my classmates are vets using VocRehab for the nursing program. Last years graduates were offered employment even before graduation. None of my disabilities would preclude me from nursing school. My VocRehab office switches out counselors every 3 months and the last newer counselor asked why I didn’t select nursing as my program after she checked my records, resume, education, nursing assistant license....I told her, “the counselor before you wouldn’t approve it.” Wish she was my counselor to begin with...lol.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

From what I read on Benjamin Krause's site, it is possible for it to be extended, but it is not an automatic extension. He used his to get his law degree.

I just checked out his site, very informative. Keeping it in perspective, this job market is quite competitive...not really sure VocRehab can help. Few jobs that pay liveable wages. Not what you know, but who you know(nepotism). Personally I think veterans preference, especially for federal jobs is just for show.

It’s just a shame VocRehab financed an expensive program I didn’t think would make me marketable. But, I accepted it because it’s all they offered. Now, after I complete the program I wanted ... nursing school, which is actually a lot less expensive, I will be gainfully employed...even though I make $10 ph now as a CNA, I’ve been offered a tentative offer at the hospital I work at upon completing my degree & getting my nursing license, plus tuition reimbursement. I guess, then VocRehab can say I’m gainfully employed and terminate my rehab plan...no thanks to them, but it all worked out in the end.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If it helps make you employable, then it is worth it. If you find a job you enjoy, then it is really worth it. Only drawback is dealing with the red tape to get there.