VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I submit VAMC Problems list w/Chronic PTSD as evidence to DRO?

Rate this question

83beenuff

Question

When I got diagnosed by the psychiatrist at my VAMC with PTSD he never put the PTSD into my problems list and only put the OCD into the VHA problems list. The psychiatrist told me he didn't need to put PTSD into my problems list, since he wasn't giving me medication for my PTSD, and PTSD is under my treatment assessment in his records.  I no longer see that psychiatrist and have been seeing an outside psychologist who is still treating me for PTSD (with neurofeedback for the last 5 years).  My VAMC PCP put Chronic PTSD in the VHA Problems List, from my outside Psychologist treatment notes, after I was not seeing the VAMC psychiatrist any longer.

Right now the VBA only wants to say Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder due to a messed up C&P exam, so I am trying to get he DRO to come around to PTSD, P&T.  I have had PTSD for 16 years.  I have an IMO DBQ psychologist stating PTSD, and a good 12 page rebuttal of the C&P by my treating Psychologist showing why I do have PTSD and the severity level I have it at.

My treating Psychologist also made a statement in the rebuttal that: "Given the severity and duration of the Veteran's PTSD symptoms, his PTSD is more likely than not (greater than 50 percent probability) to continue unabated for the rest of his life."

So now I am trying to decide if it would be to my benefit to submit my VHA Problems List to the DRO with my evidence of continued treatment, or if it would just be dismissed

because it was put on there by my VA family doc (PCP) instead of the VA psychiatrist who diagnosed it.  What are your thoughts or experiences on this?     

Thank you in advance!

Edited by 83beenuff
corrected disability name error

1 hour ago, 83beenuff said:

Right now the VBA only wants to say Other Traumatic Stressor Related Disorder due to a messed up C&P exam, so I am trying to get he DRO to come around to PTSD, P&T.  I have had PTSD for 16 years.  I have an IMO DBQ psychologist stating PTSD, and a good 12 page rebuttal of the C&P by my treating Psychologist showing why I do have PTSD and the severity level I have it at. 

So now I am trying to decide if it would be to my benefit to submit my VHA Problems List to the DRO with my evidence of continued treatment, or if it would just be dismissed

because it was put on there by my VA family doc (PCP) instead of the VA psychiatrist who diagnosed it.  What are your thoughts or experiences on this?    

Forgive me, what is your question here?

I'm not sure I understand this...are you saying that they changed your diagnosis for PTSD to "OTSRD" after 16 years because of a bad C&P??

I would start with an amendment, and then sending the amendment to the DRO...but you can go about it however you like. (Information is provided on your RO website under "Request your medical records" )

Our Release of Information staff will be happy to assist you with requests for your medical records. We also assist providers with completing forms for patients.

We can assist you with the following -

• access to your medical records
  • obtaining copies of your medical records
  • requests to amend your medical records
  • completion of forms for benefits, insurance, and other reasons

You could file an amendment for the C&P and attempt to get them to correct the portions you believe are incorrect, which has helped me in the past.

Also, alternatively, you can always get/request a second opinion, or remark the it was an inadequate exam (list reasons for inadequacy).

I have a re-exam coming up myself for PTSD (5 years diagnosed). If you have your historical exams, you could also use those to discuss "what changed" if anything between the service connection, any re-exams, and the new "bad" exam.

Edited by awgv001

Are you SC with PTSD, or are you trying to get SC for PTSD?  

If you are seeking an increase, then, yes, you need to have your symptoms documented.  If you are not yet SC for PTSD, its okay to document your symptoms, but remember not to get the cart before the horse:  Get Caluza elements first, then get symptoms documented.  Lastly, you can work on the effective date.  VA will do it "in this order".  

You indicated you were diagnosed with PTSD by a VA doc.  This is a great start.  

I'll try to clarify.  I have had the 1 VA psychiatrist, and 2 outside psychologists (both PhD's) state my PTSD stressors are from the military.  I am service connected by VBA for Other Traumatic Stressor Related Disorder, even though I claimed PTSD when I filed my claim.

My question is would it help to show the VA Problems List to the DRO at my hearing since it shows Chronic PTSD, even though PTSD was only added to the Problems List by my VA family doc?

I think it might not help my case of getting the DRO to SC me for PTSD instead of OTSRD, because it was added by a doctor that is not in Behavioral Health. 

3 hours ago, 83beenuff said:

Dustoff 11, I was diagnosed by the VA Psychiatrist.  It was just weird how the VA Psychiatrist never wanted to put it in the VA Problems List.

Yes, this is surprising to me as well, I was first given an exam via psych to see if I had the right PTSD numbers, then saw psychiatrist for the meds, and an LCSW for regular counseling. After that first evaluation it became a part of my list, and had treated me ever since...I would use myhealth.gov to send a secure message to them in regard to this, and what you're trying to do, and what issues you have faced so they can get their end straightened out.