Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Should I submit VAMC Problems list w/Chronic PTSD as evidence to DRO?

83beenuff
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

When I got diagnosed by the psychiatrist at my VAMC with PTSD he never put the PTSD into my problems list and only put the OCD into the VHA problems list. The psychiatrist told me he didn't need to put PTSD into my problems list, since he wasn't giving me medication for my PTSD, and PTSD is under my treatment assessment in his records.  I no longer see that psychiatrist and have been seeing an outside psychologist who is still treating me for PTSD (with neurofeedback for the last 5 years).  My VAMC PCP put Chronic PTSD in the VHA Problems List, from my outside Psychologist treatment notes, after I was not seeing the VAMC psychiatrist any longer.

Right now the VBA only wants to say Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder due to a messed up C&P exam, so I am trying to get he DRO to come around to PTSD, P&T.  I have had PTSD for 16 years.  I have an IMO DBQ psychologist stating PTSD, and a good 12 page rebuttal of the C&P by my treating Psychologist showing why I do have PTSD and the severity level I have it at.

My treating Psychologist also made a statement in the rebuttal that: "Given the severity and duration of the Veteran's PTSD symptoms, his PTSD is more likely than not (greater than 50 percent probability) to continue unabated for the rest of his life."

So now I am trying to decide if it would be to my benefit to submit my VHA Problems List to the DRO with my evidence of continued treatment, or if it would just be dismissed

because it was put on there by my VA family doc (PCP) instead of the VA psychiatrist who diagnosed it.  What are your thoughts or experiences on this?     

Thank you in advance!

Edited by 83beenuff
corrected disability name error

1 hour ago, 83beenuff said:

Right now the VBA only wants to say Other Traumatic Stressor Related Disorder due to a messed up C&P exam, so I am trying to get he DRO to come around to PTSD, P&T.  I have had PTSD for 16 years.  I have an IMO DBQ psychologist stating PTSD, and a good 12 page rebuttal of the C&P by my treating Psychologist showing why I do have PTSD and the severity level I have it at. 

So now I am trying to decide if it would be to my benefit to submit my VHA Problems List to the DRO with my evidence of continued treatment, or if it would just be dismissed

because it was put on there by my VA family doc (PCP) instead of the VA psychiatrist who diagnosed it.  What are your thoughts or experiences on this?    

Forgive me, what is your question here?

I'm not sure I understand this...are you saying that they changed your diagnosis for PTSD to "OTSRD" after 16 years because of a bad C&P??

I would start with an amendment, and then sending the amendment to the DRO...but you can go about it however you like. (Information is provided on your RO website under "Request your medical records" )

Our Release of Information staff will be happy to assist you with requests for your medical records. We also assist providers with completing forms for patients.

We can assist you with the following -

• access to your medical records
  • obtaining copies of your medical records
  • requests to amend your medical records
  • completion of forms for benefits, insurance, and other reasons

You could file an amendment for the C&P and attempt to get them to correct the portions you believe are incorrect, which has helped me in the past.

Also, alternatively, you can always get/request a second opinion, or remark the it was an inadequate exam (list reasons for inadequacy).

I have a re-exam coming up myself for PTSD (5 years diagnosed). If you have your historical exams, you could also use those to discuss "what changed" if anything between the service connection, any re-exams, and the new "bad" exam.

Edited by awgv001

Are you SC with PTSD, or are you trying to get SC for PTSD?  

If you are seeking an increase, then, yes, you need to have your symptoms documented.  If you are not yet SC for PTSD, its okay to document your symptoms, but remember not to get the cart before the horse:  Get Caluza elements first, then get symptoms documented.  Lastly, you can work on the effective date.  VA will do it "in this order".  

You indicated you were diagnosed with PTSD by a VA doc.  This is a great start.  

I'll try to clarify.  I have had the 1 VA psychiatrist, and 2 outside psychologists (both PhD's) state my PTSD stressors are from the military.  I am service connected by VBA for Other Traumatic Stressor Related Disorder, even though I claimed PTSD when I filed my claim.

My question is would it help to show the VA Problems List to the DRO at my hearing since it shows Chronic PTSD, even though PTSD was only added to the Problems List by my VA family doc?

I think it might not help my case of getting the DRO to SC me for PTSD instead of OTSRD, because it was added by a doctor that is not in Behavioral Health. 

Dustoff 11,

Thank you, that helps.  I think I will leave my VA Problems List out, since it is kind of weird, and instead I will focus on bringing the doctors' notes and pointing out where the psychiatrist, psychologists, and family doc all say it is PTSD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 83beenuff said:

Dustoff 11, I was diagnosed by the VA Psychiatrist.  It was just weird how the VA Psychiatrist never wanted to put it in the VA Problems List.

Yes, this is surprising to me as well, I was first given an exam via psych to see if I had the right PTSD numbers, then saw psychiatrist for the meds, and an LCSW for regular counseling. After that first evaluation it became a part of my list, and had treated me ever since...I would use myhealth.gov to send a secure message to them in regard to this, and what you're trying to do, and what issues you have faced so they can get their end straightened out.

• Like 1

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines