VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I submit VAMC Problems list w/Chronic PTSD as evidence to DRO?

Rate this question

83beenuff

Question

When I got diagnosed by the psychiatrist at my VAMC with PTSD he never put the PTSD into my problems list and only put the OCD into the VHA problems list. The psychiatrist told me he didn't need to put PTSD into my problems list, since he wasn't giving me medication for my PTSD, and PTSD is under my treatment assessment in his records.  I no longer see that psychiatrist and have been seeing an outside psychologist who is still treating me for PTSD (with neurofeedback for the last 5 years).  My VAMC PCP put Chronic PTSD in the VHA Problems List, from my outside Psychologist treatment notes, after I was not seeing the VAMC psychiatrist any longer.

Right now the VBA only wants to say Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder due to a messed up C&P exam, so I am trying to get he DRO to come around to PTSD, P&T.  I have had PTSD for 16 years.  I have an IMO DBQ psychologist stating PTSD, and a good 12 page rebuttal of the C&P by my treating Psychologist showing why I do have PTSD and the severity level I have it at.

My treating Psychologist also made a statement in the rebuttal that: "Given the severity and duration of the Veteran's PTSD symptoms, his PTSD is more likely than not (greater than 50 percent probability) to continue unabated for the rest of his life."

So now I am trying to decide if it would be to my benefit to submit my VHA Problems List to the DRO with my evidence of continued treatment, or if it would just be dismissed

because it was put on there by my VA family doc (PCP) instead of the VA psychiatrist who diagnosed it.  What are your thoughts or experiences on this?     

Thank you in advance!

Edited by 83beenuff
corrected disability name error

• Lead Moderator

This sounds to me like the VA is skating around the issue of saying you have PTSD.  My opinion is some instruction came out to the MHP and they were give instruction to not give out PTSD diagnosis's like tick tacs.  Kinda the way they did with reducing the amount of narcotics they give to vets.  They will give instruction, but not relay it to the vet.  They will start to make suggestions to steer it so they can move you away from the drug or the diagnosis.  

I had this happen with my disease.  The VA did not want to give me my claim and it took 5 years for them to so oh yha you do have that.  So in my opinion it is very likely they are delay to see if you will fight the issue or not.

My two cents is to keep fighting them!

• HadIt.com Elder

''I'll try to clarify.  I have had the 1 VA psychiatrist, and 2 outside psychologists (both PhD's) state my PTSD stressors are from the military.  I am service connected by VBA for Other Traumatic Stressor Related Disorder, even though I claimed PTSD when I filed my claim.''

It should not matter where you were traumatized while in the military  if you have a stressor  or stressors  that should fly with a PTSD CLAIM

you can take any thing of evidence to the DRO to help substantiate your claim  take the problem list   it should have the codes on it 

If you can't actually find where they diagnose you for PTSD  THEN GO SEE THE mh clinic and take what records you have about them telling you they don't need to list your diagnose because they are prescribing you the PTSD Medications   the DRO needs to know this.   so if you are getting PTSD Meds and Anxiety meds  then this is a self explanation of a diagnose for PTSD  BY YOUR M.H. physiatrist 

example  if a Veteran has been prescribe the blue pill for ED But don't have a diagnosis for ED  he can use the medication he takes for ED, If he don't have a E.D. Diagnoses as he had been diagnose for E.D. BY THE BLUE PILL PRESCRIPTION

Why would they prescribe the blue pill to a Veteran? because he has E.D.

THE HARD PART IS GETTING IT SERVICE CONNECTED  BUT CAN BE SERVICE CONNECTED  via  A Secondary claim  such as PTSD Meds

• HadIt.com Elder

Also if you been denied for PTSD   give us there reason and bases of their decision?''

''What we Decided''  black out name and personal info

• HadIt.com Elder

On the normal side of things with the VA IF Normal is a Normal word with the VA.!!!!!

or the way they did me  my VA PCP put in a request I go see the MH Clinic  to be evaluated for MH Disorder....it can be unspecified DIAGNOSE for any type of Mental disorder.  PTSD they go by your symptoms and they find out what those are during your Mental Health Evaluation. using the DSM 5 DIAGNOSTIC Criteria .

ok I went up to the MH Clinic with an appointment to see a Phyistrist &..they evaluated me and made the PTSD Diagnose that day, I had to tell them were I served in combat  what I did(my job)what I witness as a stressor even though I had been changed to a TEMP MOS and work out of the special operations branch with the unit I was assigned to in Vietnam

ok I told them about my stressor and they made the diagnose  although combat veterans don't need to prove these stressors  if they had a CIB on there DD 214.

Unfortunately .My DD214 WAS NOT AVAILABLE to this VA Phyistrist  until I brought it to the clinic to show her.

.These M.H. Dr's and Phyistrist  don't know diddle about a PTSD CLAIMS All they will tell you is go see the DAV or VBA  they do the claims

I did not file a claim for PTSD until I was diagnose for PTSD  And After they made the diagnosis for PTSD they said I  had Chronic PTSD  with unspecific disorders and showed I had depression  but I never filed for Depression  but its in my records...we can't have two MH disorders for compensation purposes but you can have other MH Diagnoses in your records.

Just to Add

When they diagnosed me for PTSD  I had seen 3 or 4 Dr's  (Phyistrist and one MD)And One L.C.S.W..SW.4

I am sure it was part of the DSM 5 Diagnostic Testing.

I seen one female NP and I remember she ask me if I had problems with sex?..I said what? yeah she ask me that..I said well at times I don't care for it and just want to be alone..to this day I don't know WHY this NP physiatrist ask me that? 

I don't have MST? PTSD

My PTSD is based off the war In Vietnam and what it did to me after military, although I was not married while I was in the military.

some of these questions are uncalled for but for some strange reason she ask me that?

I never mention that to anyone after that...and nothing was ever brought up about it!

SHE IS NO LONGER AT MY VAMC.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck This is a perfect example why I try to stand clear on commenting PTSD or MH questions unless it is a simple answer. It's a damn rabbit hole that has more twists and turns than downtown Providence, R.I. The doctor (Phd's) don't understand what is need to be diagnosed, don't know and don't care to understand what the BVA needs to develop a claim, and every regional RO has there own priorities in what counts the most to evaluate a veteran's disabilities. It's near impossible for a veteran to come out of it with what he or she should get. IMO

Buck52 ,Thank you for your replies.  The C&P doctor said my stressors did not meet Criterion A for PTSD.  Criterion A is the part asking: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious injury, c) sexual violation  That was the C&P doctor's sole reasoning for not diagnosing PTSD. 

But as mentioned before, I have 1 VA psychiatrist, 1 IME PhD psychologist, and my treating PhD psychologist saying that I DO meet Criterion A for PTSD.  They thought my stressors were life threatening.

I am doing the Neurofeedback (aka biofeedback) in lieu of medication in addition to psychotherapy for the PTSD and other mental problems.  I believe Neurofeeback (biofeedback) is recognized as an effective treatment for PTSD according this article.  You can do the search function on this .pdf for the word "biofeedback" from the NationalCenter for PTSD.  I think by how they mention biofeedback as a adjunctive treatment it might help with the DRO in recognizing it as a acceptable assistive form of treatment for my PTSD.  What are your thoughts?

The Experience of Chronic Pain and PTSD_ A Guide for Health Care Providers - PTSD_ National Center for PTSD.pdf