VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I submit VAMC Problems list w/Chronic PTSD as evidence to DRO?

Rate this question

83beenuff

Question

When I got diagnosed by the psychiatrist at my VAMC with PTSD he never put the PTSD into my problems list and only put the OCD into the VHA problems list. The psychiatrist told me he didn't need to put PTSD into my problems list, since he wasn't giving me medication for my PTSD, and PTSD is under my treatment assessment in his records.  I no longer see that psychiatrist and have been seeing an outside psychologist who is still treating me for PTSD (with neurofeedback for the last 5 years).  My VAMC PCP put Chronic PTSD in the VHA Problems List, from my outside Psychologist treatment notes, after I was not seeing the VAMC psychiatrist any longer.

Right now the VBA only wants to say Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder due to a messed up C&P exam, so I am trying to get he DRO to come around to PTSD, P&T.  I have had PTSD for 16 years.  I have an IMO DBQ psychologist stating PTSD, and a good 12 page rebuttal of the C&P by my treating Psychologist showing why I do have PTSD and the severity level I have it at.

My treating Psychologist also made a statement in the rebuttal that: "Given the severity and duration of the Veteran's PTSD symptoms, his PTSD is more likely than not (greater than 50 percent probability) to continue unabated for the rest of his life."

So now I am trying to decide if it would be to my benefit to submit my VHA Problems List to the DRO with my evidence of continued treatment, or if it would just be dismissed

because it was put on there by my VA family doc (PCP) instead of the VA psychiatrist who diagnosed it.  What are your thoughts or experiences on this?     

Thank you in advance!

Edited by 83beenuff
corrected disability name error

Here is an excerpt from the article for those who don't want to view the whole pdf:

Treating Individuals Who Have Chronic Pain and PTSD

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapeutic intervention that helps patients manage chronic pain (21). Other types of treatment that help patients with chronic pain include: stress inoculation training, behavior modification/operant conditioning, self-directed treatments, and adjunctive treatments such as biofeedback and relaxation training (22). There are also manualized treatments that specifically address avoidance behaviors and hypervigilance, because these behaviors tend to reinforce fear reactions.

Research suggests that providing CBT treatments to address PTSD symptoms in patients with chronic pain may lead to improvements in pain-related functioning (23). This has been seen even when the pain was not addressed specifically in the intervention. When treating patients with chronic pain, it is vital that health care providers address patients' symptoms of PTSD and depression. In so doing, they increase the likelihood that patients will have improvements in their levels of pain as well as in their physical and emotional functioning.

"I am service connected by VBA for Other Traumatic Stressor Related Disorder, even though I claimed PTSD when I filed my claim."

The VA says you don't have PTSD, but you do have a mental health issue, and they service connected you for it.  A win.

I would think they are using the same rating scale for this and or PTSD.  You can only get one.  I am not sure there is a different rating schedule for PTSD and OTSRD, but if there is then submit for an increase with the "higher rated" PTSD criteria with doctor notes to support.  

I think you are golden as you are already service connected.  Wanting P&T is for the asking.  Then throw all your med records in at that time.

There are many medical conditions that are not rate-able by the VA, but they just use whats as close as they can get to what you have.

Who cares what they call it, if its rated the same.  

I just searched for "Other Traumatic Stressor Related Disorder".  I doesn't come up except for your post here on hadit.  Not sure its a thing.  So, you need to see what you are service connected for as printed on your disabilities column in your Ebenifits.  Might surprise you what they are calling it.  Check that and the percentage against the rating tables to see if you can do better.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

As others have said you can pursue your PTSD rating if you wish but it will most likely not change your rating.  They use the same criteria for rating PTSD as they do for anxiety.  I do not know if there is any benefit other than the title and that is a stigma for some people.  You are not required to tell anyone what your disability is, especially if it is an emotional disability unless it effects your work and then it might come up.  I very rarely discuss my disability with anyone but my therapist and psychiatrist when I am not on these boards.  I just tell people I am retired from the USMC when asked.

Hamslice, the exact name for it is: Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder as written on my award letter. Sorry I did not write it quite right.

Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder seems to be viewed as temporary, and not as severe as PTSD by Psychologists from what I can find.

Vetquest I appreciate your input in regards to employers.  I am unable to work at this time, but I will keep your advice in mind.

52 minutes ago, 83beenuff said:

I am unable to work at this time, but I will keep your advice in mind.

If you are unable to work, have you requested TDIU?  Depending on what evidence you have this might be easy or very difficult but I would at least try to file for it.

53 minutes ago, 83beenuff said:

Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder seems to be viewed as temporary, and not as severe as PTSD by Psychologists from what I can find.

How long have you been out and under treatment?  I fail to understand how the disorder is viewed as temporary if you have been in treatment for six months or longer you meet the criteria for chronic.

Vetquest, I have not applied for TDIU.  I definitely have a solid case for 100% service connection.  I have not been able to work for the last 10 or so years.  I have been under treatment specifically for the PTSD since 2014.

I feel my stuff is chronic, which is why I am appealing.  Thank goodness for my outside psychologist making a very good rebuttal to the VA's C&P exam.