VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Dr Recommendation vs Rater

Rate this question

Jash

Question

I’ve done the VA claim-bit on my own. I don’t  know if this is a mistake or not. 

I went to a c&p exam recently. I left somewhat confused. I never had a doctor tell me directly that she was recommending an increase as well as IU. She said though it was ultimately up to the rater. I don’t have her report because 30 days has not passed. I was at 50% for ptsd and 10% hearing loss. During the appointment the c&p doctor quoted a couple other reports where VA doctors I’ve seen at various clinics said that I had “long term, chronic and severe...” (Don’t want to get into the what). I find myself now obsessing if: 

1. The c&p dr was lying to about her recommendations; 

2. The c&p dr was telling the truth about the recommendations;
3. The rater will decrease my %
4. The rater will increase my%

Ultimately it boils down to: How much weight does the rater put into the C&P dr recommendations? Could I really get IU if that dr did actually recommend it? what are the chances?  The IU could help a lot, I’ve not been able to work much the past few years. 

Edited by Jash

6 answers to this question

Your answer is, your guess is about as good as ours.

The VA raters are supposed to go with the recommendations provided by the C&P. As for the weight of evidence, typically the more detail something has, the more definitive it is, and gives less wiggle room to speculation and misinterpretation. You'll be able to review your C&P, and you'll also be receiving an award letter that elaborates on any benefits, or denials.

Until then, I would suggest finding a hobby you find peace with. SOME C&P's can debate whether IU is a yae or nay, but not all.

If it's for PTSD or TBI, those include recommendations based on IU etc. (I'm 70% PTSD myself btw, but not IU)

If you get a 70% rating or higher, you can request IU. Do you have a VSO to help you out with some of this?

Edited by awgv001

Any doctor whether it is a VA doctor or an outside doctor can provide a recommendation for a rating.  It is still up to the rating officer as to what percentage is granted if at all.  The best thing the doctor can do is make sure that the documentation they are submitting has the necessary symptoms that are necessary for the rating they think you should have. 

1 hour ago, JKWilliamsSr said:

Any doctor whether it is a VA doctor or an outside doctor can provide a recommendation for a rating.  It is still up to the rating officer as to what percentage is granted if at all.  The best thing the doctor can do is make sure that the documentation they are submitting has the necessary symptoms that are necessary for the rating they think you should have. 

This is true.  I had two outside doctor IME/Nexus with percentage recommendations.  The VA gave me higher ratings on both contentions.  Blew me away.  Usually the Va is notorious lowballers.

I have to go with awgv001's advice to get a hobby.  You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what the VA will do in a given instance.  Most rating doctors are honest about what they are going to recommend.  Even the doctor that tried to mess up my health record was honest that he was going to try and mess me over.  Only time will tell which way the VA rater is going to go on your doctor's recommendation.  Some people's claims go very smoothly and others seem to take an act of congress.  Good luck and try not to obsess on your claim.  

Great advice above, as stated as above know one knows or can tell what VA will do until it is written in ink and you have your decision letter.  Yes, the bottom line is that the VARO will actually make the decision on what your rating will be.  Try not to be concern too much about the VARO reducing your current rating.  In most cases you will get an increase, in some cases you could either get TDIU or even 100% scheduler for PTSD.  There are times when a veteran's mental health precludes him/her from working. It really depends on your symptoms.  Just know that if the VARO rates you as 100% PTSD, they may try to say that you are incompetent to handle your own funds.  I have seen this several times.  I am just guessing because you stated that several doctors in various clinics stated "You have long term chronic and severe PTSD".   Even though it has not been 30 days you can also check my healthy vet. and try to pull up your exam.  Just don't try to do it every hour to every day.  Keep in mind because it is a mental health exam it may or may not be loaded in the system.  Take a deep breath it is almost over. Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Jash ''quoted''

''Ultimately it boils down to: How much weight does the rater put into the C&P dr recommendations? Could I really get IU if that dr did actually recommend it? what are the chances?  The IU could help a lot, I’ve not been able to work much the past few years.'' 

These raters put a lot of weight into these C&P Examiners simply because they are Dr's  (Raters are not Dr's)   so depending on what the examiners say in their report plays a big big roll on what the rater decides.and what the evidence suggest.

if this examiner recommended you for IU  then that is a big big plus in your favor...but like everyone else mention we/you won't know what the decision is until you get your official packet in the mail...

*Note *sometimes if you use a VSO they are notified of the decision and they will send you out an ''unofficial letter letting you know what the decision is.

Just my opinion but I think this examiner was favorable to you.