HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

0%
    $0.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

HLR closed without taking care of duty to assist error corrections

Question

Hi,

I am praying that someone could help me.  I had a Higher Level Review.  They found several duty to assist errors and was suppose to send it to the AOJ for corrections.  My HLR closed but the duty to assist errors were sent for correction.  I called the 800 number and informed them what was done, I called and asked to speak to a supervisor, I sent a letter through IRIS and I sent a letter to the intake center alerting them all of what was done.  To date, no one has answered my calls or emails.  My case is suppose to be expedited due to hardship.   Is there any one else who I could talk to that would look in to this?  This has been going on for about a month now.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

10 hours ago, GBArmy said:

When did these events happen? Did you tell them at each step that it was a hardship? Did you try the white house number also? The corrections or "remands" can take a while to accomplish but have to be completed prior to the VA making a final decision. 

Great Advice from GB Army!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a Higher Level Review.  They found several duty to assist errors and was suppose to send it to the AOJ for corrections"

Can you possibly scan and attach here  the letter from VA that acknowledged the Duty to Assist errors?

Cover your C file ,name address, prior to scanning it.

what VARO is this?

I can find some  contact numbers for their director/ and /or VSCM.

I had a major Duty to Assist error in the adjudication of my 2003 DMII AO death claim.

My VCAA letter ( called the 5103 waiver these days) was not the appropriate letter that widows are supposed to receive.

The state reps I had ( to include their Director) refused to address this error, saying it was in compliance with the VCAA.

It caused my claim to go to the BVA, when the claim had more than enough evidence to be granted at the VARO level.

My State reps had a boss- the Governor- I complained to him and to the VA Office of General Counsel.I used as evidence  for the complaint, a letter from the state Director, telling me the VCAA letter I got  was in complete compliance with the VCAA.I sent to VCAA letter with my complaints.

The director was suddenly removed, one rep was demoted and one ( maybe 2) quit.Part of my complaint was that this DTA error could be affecting other widows of veterans, as negatively as it did in my case.

The BVA acknowledged the VCAA DTA error.

However they awarded the claim and rendered the error moot, because I had satisfied the requirements  of what a legal VCAA letter involved. My evidence was overwhelming.

I also had a 5103 error more recently that I have filed CUE on.

In your situation, I hope you hear from IRIS soon.I also hoped you filed the IRIS as a complaint ( in the cmplaint pop down box. IRIS complaints go to VA Centra as well as the RO.

If not I can post your RO's direct contact info and if that does not help, by all means call the White House Veterans Hot Line at 855-948-2311.

I also filed a complaint with the Inspector General's office,the District Counsel, and two director's of 2 VAROs on my issue with the 5103 problem, as part of an audit request.

A major Duty to Assist  error (which could involve the 5103 waiver)if not corrected, will add many, many years to a claim, as I well know.

Do you have a POA representing you in this claim?

If so what steps have they taken to get it corrected?

Edited by Berta

Ok, so ebenefits says its "closed", and you want us to speculate on what that means?  Sorry, Im not going there, not that Im not sympathetic to your issues.  Its possible, or even likely, that you have been awarded benefits, so "DTA" may not mean a whole lot when you are granted benefits.  

I know its painful when you need money and VA drags stuff out.  (I lost my home in 2005to 2006 waiting on VA to process benefits).  

My suggestion:

In my state you can go to the county VSO and "get short term help" for Vets with things like evcition notices, gas shut off, etc.  My suggestion is you contact them, you are gonna have to wait for the envelope to know anything REAL.  

You can try calling the White house hotline.  Did you contact your VSO who should have VBMS access??  He can tell you more than we can.  However, we dont always suggest you take all the advice VSO give you, especially when they say stuff like:  "Dont file for an increase, you will be reduced instead" or "Dont file any new benefits, they will take away the ones you have, instead."  

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your comments.  I just called the white house hotline.  Thank you for giving me that information.  They said that they are going to have someone look into it immediately.  Please understand that my HLR was closed without the supplemental record for the duty to assist error corrections being taken care of.  This was confirmed by calling peggy and also from Disabled Veterans looking at my files in the VA computer.  There were no opened files for me.   I am praying that by contacting the white house, some one will honestly address my concerns.  If I didn't have you guys for support, I don't know where I would be.  The worst thing in the world is being in pain or suffering from a mental condition and not being heard.  It's great that there are so many caring hearts in this forum.  Thank you.  Will let you know how I make out.