VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Surgery restrictions

Rate this question

Dino

Question

Aloha,

I'm a 100% P&T disabled veteran. I need major spinal repair surgery. Do I have to fight to prove it happened in the service or am I covered for any surgery w/out having to prove service connection?

Respectfully Submitted,

Dino 

Edited by Dino
Removed last name

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your 100% P&T

You should be covered at your VAMC for any type healthcare.

I would sure ask these Dr at your VAMC for their experience in this type surgery before you just let them start cutting on your Back.

They have it now  if you can't get in to see a Dr within a normal time frame say within 30 days  you can request from your VA PCP to be outsourced for private health care from the Mission Act pc-3 Community Care program(CCP) or if you check on this type surgery and the Dr's don't meet the expectations of this type surgery  then ask for the private care.

Reason I say this my VA Therapist had to have Back surgery and during the surgery they cut a nerve that was not supposed to be cut   ...well this therapist can no longer work and they had to discharge him from his work  he could no longer walk and was given early retirement.

Anytime they go cutting on your Back around and close to your spine is very serious stuff.

• HadIt.com Elder

As for as fighting  if your meaning fighting for compensation...since you are already 100% P&T  you are already getting the top compensation for your disability.

..you might check on if they can give you a SMC temp while recovering from the surgery? or any type extra compensation while recovering??? 

Once your PCP sends in request for appt with surgery they have to see you within 30 days if not ask to be sent out.  I would have a name available of a Neuro surgeon  ready.  Do your research.

• HadIt.com Elder

Dino  Good advise offered here. I would agree this is serious stuff as Buck said; do some background checks on the VA surgeon that you consult with. Find out how long he has been doing surgery, if he has an outside business and history you can look up. You don't have to use that particular surgeon if you have a problem with his past performance. And, it may be possible to get some temp extra comp by way of SMC while you recover; good advise from Buck on that, as well (as usual!)