HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

11%
    $175.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

How to proceed? Supplemntal Claim from Grand Mal Epilepsy DENIED

Question

Hi there,
Recently actually yesterday the 21st of February the VA gave me notice that my supplemental claim had been decided and that they had sent out the letter that morning as well (meaning the decision was actually made on the 20th). This of course prompted me to check Ebenefits, where I saw no change in my rating. I'm currently rated at 40% for other issues. And in the past Ebenefits updated almost instantly leading me to believe that this supplemental claim was denied.
I originally submitted my Epilepsy claim back in august, it was denied about 4 months later due to conflicting phraseology given by one of my doctors (mind you i still have a diagnoses of Epilepsy with 15 witnessed Grand Mal seizures at this point). Once i got the original decision letter I contacted my County VSO's office and set up an appointment. After they reviewed everything they we surprised that my claim was denied as it has a clear nexus and on top of that falls under the conditions; that if they manifest within a year its considered service connected (I separated 02/01/2019, first seizure onset was 05/25/2019). They did review the 112 pages of evidence from my civilian doctors and did see the conflicting phraseology. They told me that if I could get my Neurologist to just confirm my diagnoses and say i was and have been under treatment since 05/25/2019 that we could submit a supplemental claim since that's the fastest route. So that's what we did. That brings us to now.
Under the standards for Epilepsy I was looking at a single rating of anything between 80%-100%. An 80% from 40% would have resulted in something Close to 90%. While i'm holding out, since in either case the retro pay (if my claim was awarded) would be greater then 20K that the additional signatures required are slowing down Ebenefits from updating, but as in most cases if the letter has sent and Ebenfits doesn't updated, 90% of the time you Claim/Supplemental/Appeal is denied. ( I mean correct me if I'm wrong).
Whats the moral of the story? No matter how much evidence you have to support you the VA will be the VA. I'm lucky that I'm rated for other conditions so that I can at least have the VA help me cut down on the costs of treatment for Epilepsy, but it would have been nice to have it service connected so that I wouldn't have to wait months on months for Neurology appointments since I don't have priority.
If any one has any information for me that might help moving forward, I'm all ears as once my letter is received and upon reading of the denial ill be filling an appeal.
  • Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Until you get the letter you don't know for sure. Ebenefits isn't an instant update. Did you try printing your new benefits letter? I've seen that update before the rest of the site a few times. Eithe

to add- we had here at hadit a few vets whose VSO rep put down on the claim, that they were Gulf War Vets  incountry and wanted the GWV presumptives to be applied by VA to their disability-but some of

Posted Images

First, wait for the decision.  Speculating on what ebenefits means is not productive.  I recently got favorable board decision AND a favorable VARO implementation (The VARO actually gave me more than the BVA required.  I was awarded eed for tdiu by the BVA, but the VARO ALSO awarded SMC S)

In both cases, ebenefits was inaccurate.  I knew this would happen and waited.  

About 3 weeks later, a deposit went to my account for retro.  

Moral:  Dont count on ebenefits, wait for the envelope.  At a minimum, they dont update ebenefits frequently, so its usually out of date.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Until you get the letter you don't know for sure. Ebenefits isn't an instant update. Did you try printing your new benefits letter? I've seen that update before the rest of the site a few times. Either way, you can't really decide how to proceed until you have the letter to say why (If) it was denied.

Edited by brokensoldier244th
  • Like 2

Welcome to Hadit!

Following, I go to neurology for TBI and secondary symptoms, wishing you the best when you get your packet/updates!

Edited by awgv001
23 hours ago, broncovet said:

First, wait for the decision.  Speculating on what ebenefits means is not productive.  I recently got favorable board decision AND a favorable VARO implementation (The VARO actually gave me more than the BVA required.  I was awarded eed for tdiu by the BVA, but the VARO ALSO awarded SMC S)

In both cases, ebenefits was inaccurate.  I knew this would happen and waited.  

About 3 weeks later, a deposit went to my account for retro.  

Moral:  Dont count on ebenefits, wait for the envelope.  At a minimum, they dont update ebenefits frequently, so its usually out of date.  

Yeah, while I guess I really shouldn't put all my eggs into one basket but with all of my other ratings, after the VA said they sent the decision letter, Ebenefits reflected the new rating % on the same day, of course the pay out was a lot smaller so that could be the case. I'm by no means hopeful.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By broncovet
      These begin Dec. 1, and the first day we should get the new compensation rates is Jan. 1, 2021.  (VA comp is paid in arrears, so it starts Dec. 1 and you get the new pay rates on Jan. 1)  
      https://www.va.gov/disability/compensation-rates/veteran-rates/
    • By pattimelt
      I have been dealing with a rep from the state of TN, who has been working with me after my first Total Knee Replacement.  This was in 2018.  I have since had 2 revision surgeries on the SAME KNEE due to the implant loosening.  2nd claim for the temp 100% went well. When I sent him all the paperwork THIS year, he filed all the current paperwork EXCEPT the actual comp form from my community care doc.  He sent the 2019 form instead of the one from this year, so my claim is all screwed up!!!  I attempted to contact this rep, and either due to COVID or just him being lazy, he has not responded to either email or phone calls, so after he filed the wrong paperwork, we have had no contact.  I called the VA, and asked what I needed to do, and I sent in the correct paperwork, but now the VA is requesting a C&P exam, and I've been waiting 2 months to even get notification that I even HAVE an appointment!!!  In the meantime, I'm stuck still in rehab with this knee(which is AGAIN loose!!), and I cannot work. 
      Is there ANYTHING I can do to make this move any faster??  I have contacted the company that is supposed to do the C&P, and the lady I spoke with said she would try to expedite my appointment, but that was 3 weeks ago, and I still have no appointment or info...
      I'm so frustrated that the rep who is supposed to know how to do all this paperwork did it wrong, and that is why I can't pay my bills right now!!!  How are us vets supposed to live when the reps that are hired to help us screw up their job???

• By jka
      My Q will be....does the Gov't owe me back pay?  I've gone 50 years without anything.....now what?  
      Here are the particulars.
      I was medically put on the TDRL in 1969 at 30% for seizures due to a SC - TBI.  I was on the TDRL....and after about 2 years....receiving $70 a month from the DOD...not VA.  The Navy Capt's called me to Great Lakes for an Eval...they weren't Doc's.  It wasn't a CP as we know them. 
       They shortly after informed me...that my Seizures were over...and everything is fine and life will be okay !!   At that point, as a 20 year old confused sailor / working on my college degree.........I looked at the CDR and Capt...and said "okay".  I'm an E4....and saluted.
      The 30% disability monthly then stopped ( like $75 or so ).  The Navy did have me sign a form....which I  read....from Brittany at the VA 800 number for the first time this week  12/03/2020.......That I was opting out of retirement pay.....to get VA disability comp.  ( The smart thing to do right ? )
      I did get some follow up care at the Milwaukee and Madison, Wi. VA hospitals.....those once a year check ups.....required so that I could continue to get the seizure meds.
      Fast forward to NOW.  In 2017 my Vet buddies said....go to the Madison VA for Health care.  I did....our VA could not be better.  it's in the top 8 national for care.
      after applying.....all my clinic Doc's......cardio, sleep, psych....etc.....told me:  why haven't you applied for dis payments....You're rated at 30%"   Answer:  I was on the Dis list, did receive $$ for a few months...and the Navy and/or DOD.....stopped it.   
      What's really PO'd my VA Drs.....is the lack of regard for a TBI back in '69.  There were no scans, no MRI's....no X-rays after the accident.  the NAVY ER dr's   USNH-GUAM.....after 20 minutes....said....hey, you're due to be on duty.....we have to let you go.  (  statement from Drs near exact )
      And out the USNH I went and back to work.
      I always knew I could go to the VA Hosp. here in Madison Wi, for help.  I did to keep the meds....but Thanks to my vet buddies in 2017...and my VSO:  I applied for TBI, seizures, migraines and depression.  The Depress was just added in September......that brought me up to 100 P/T.  (  I'm 66 ) 
      NOW:  the VA today recognizes I've been 30% since 1968,  My Effective date on the last VA letter ( where I was rated is 30% effective 1968 )
      Thanks for reading.  I have ZERO motives to get back pay......I just want my record straight.  Why'd the NAVY not inform me I could apply for VA care and Payments?   
      Since I began this......The GOV'T  sent me my father's Med records......he's not with us but a Navy Capt. Who Ever is in charge of health records....needs a spanking !  LOL.    I don't have diabetes....my deceased Dad does.
      Last Word:   The VA 1-800  peeps were jaw dropped ref the 30% being dropped amid continuing TBI related issues....that continue.  I'll repeat......out great VA here has helped me get to 100 T/P  as of 9/2020

• By Allan Eddy
      After waiting many, many months for C&P exams for several disability rating increases and one new disability I went to a third party exam company, QTC Medical Group. Is there any way for me to get the results and notes from their "exams"? I believe there were omissions and errors that has resulted in the VA planning to cut my ratings and benefits in half. They also completely ignored the new disability filing
    • By XIbodybag
      Filed a supplemental claim 12 days ago.  Sent a current diagnosis from VHA of combat related PTSD (they diagnosed me with other stressor related disorder at 30%) and evidence of symptoms and interactions with police that should put me at 50 or 70% in like 50 pages of evidence via .  Called 1800 number today to check on status and they said that it had already been decided for 10/20/2020 (tomorrow???) and no new C&P was given.  Does this seem a bit fast to you?  Does that mean its unfavorable or have you seen favorable decisions made that quickly?  
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines