Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Troy success rate

Newdisabledvet
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

I was terminated from my job because of my service connected. I failed the fitness for duty test. I am currently rated at 70% for bipolar. 

I sent the VA my termination letter as well as the copy of the failed fitness for duty report. I made 41k a year. This all happened very quickly. The report clearly states i am a danger to myself and others. I can't work with others. I will be on medication for the rest of my life. As well as therapy.

What are the chances of being approved for tdiu?  I am really worried. 

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

7 answers to this question

You should be able to get tdiu "if" a doctor opined that you are unable to work due to SC conditions.  Read your file to find out if your doc said that.    Without reading your file and know whether or not a doc said that, we dont know what your chances are.  You can read it tho, and you tell us if/when it said that.  

I was also terminated from my job for service connected disabilities.  You should request TDIU and pursue this case through to the end.  Sometimes the VA does not like giving TDIU and will come up with all kinds of ways to deny you.  Just keep plugging and do not get discouraged.  You need to fight until they do what is right.  Do not worry though, just know you need to do what needs to be done.  If you were working outside of the military for a long enough length of time to be eligible for SSA I would apply for SSA too.  Otherwise I would apply for SSDI.  

Get into VA Voc-Rehab,,, they can test you evaluate you and see if there is any type job out there for you?

...with have being diagnose for 70% BI-POLAR PTSD I would think that it will be hard for them to fit you or train you for anything  you can do that don't require you to be around people, if they can't find you anything you can do, Normally the Voc -Rehab counselors with write you a letter stating that it is not feasible to retrain this Veteran at this time DUE TO HIS SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY AT 70% BI-POLAR PTSD

..Apply for the TDIU AND SUBMIT THIS LETTER TO THE VA ATTACH IT TO YOUR APPLICATION FOR TDIU.

That letter is Gold FOR QUALIFYING for TDIU.

but with that said the best concrete evidence you can submit needs to come from a Qualified Dr that has read your medical records and examine you & stating that you can't do any type of work due to your S.C. Disability.

Edited by Buck52

I submitted my termination letter and my failed fitness for duty exam that stated clearly I am a danger to myself and others because of my bipolar in the work setting. Also i provided a statement from discussing the fact i am not allowed anywhere near that job. Along with a document showing my fmla leave dates.

I hope all that helps get me tdiu. I am currently unemployed but prior to all this i worked a state job for 5 years before the stress of it all caused a full blown mania espisode.

The evidence you indicated is insufficient.  You are going to need a doctor to state that you are unable to maintain SGE (Substantial Gainful Employment) due to Service connected conditions.  If you have this, then you are good to go.  

You may also need voc rehab letter, as buck so stated.  

Edited by broncovet

Good catch broncovet.  You need a nexus to link your service connected disability to losing your job.  They have to say it is at least likely as not that your service connected disability is the reason you lost your job and cannot work.  I had a doctor's letter and it did not have this information in it and it took many years to get TDIU, that was before I knew of this site.  As buck52 stated to you a voc rehab letter is also a very strong bit of evidence in your favor.  I also did not have this.  

If you apply for and are awarded SSDI ( Social Security Disability insurance)

solely for the SC Bi polar ( I stress that word "solely" no other NSC considered in the award as part of their award),

that means an independent medical review was done for the SSDI claim.You sure might not need any IMO/IME doctor.

On the 21-8940 TDIU form make sure you make it clear ( it might be question 18- I forget- that you receive ( or are going to apply for SSDI)

Make sure if you do get SSDI that you fill out an authorization form so VA can obtain those records.

My husband was awarded SSDI for a 1151 stroke but I found a legal error SSA made and we requested a reconsideration and won it, solely for SSDI for SC PTSD, with a better EED.

The VA had his SSDI authorization form but told( in documented VA letters to  my 2 state Senators and my Congressman, that the SSA refused to release his records. It was a lie.VA had never requested those records.

His 30% SC PTSD could have been awarded at 100% in his lifetime, but he died , and only when I called SSA in Baltimore I learned the VA had lied about the records.

I went over to the VAMC and luckily his MH doctor was in his office- I showed the VA psychologist the SSDI award letter and also the denial whereby VA had not used evidence his  extensive MH records  regarding my husband.

The shrink wrote a letter to the VA enclosing copies of his major assessments, and test results that separated my husband's 100% 1151 stroke residuals from his PTSD and told them he had a copy of the SSDI award letter enclosed, (which VA already had by then for over 2 years.) and sent me a copy of his letter.

In a few months the award came, 100% P & T for PTSD (with a very favorable EED.) to me as an accrued benefit because he was dead by then for almost 3 years.

Voc Rehab too is good evidence as others stated, but Vc Rehab must make it clear that Voc Rehab is not feasible solely due to your SC Bi Polar .

Your termination letter is good evidence too.

I am making some personal points here, because, even with strong evidence, the VA , can and will 

bugger up even the most valid claim.

I do feel you should be cautiously optimistic about your chances.

You stated:

"I was terminated from my job because of my service connected"

My husband was discriminated by the electric company on a recall from a layoff.

Under the Handicap laws that protect disabled veterans, he should have been recalled first, but they recalled a non vet first.

The day after the EEOC ADA ( Americans With Disabilities Act )became law- 1993?

I prepared and filed an ADA complaint with evidence.A few months later the ADA lawyer called him but he was in Day treatment at VA as he had suffered an 1151 stroke.The lawyer asked who had prepared the case and when I said I did he asked if I was a lawyer- which I am not and then said well tell your husband when he gets home that he has won the first ADA discrimination case in NY.

The company had to settle with him for lost wages due to their proven discrimination.

Although he had a violent temper, from SC PTSD, 30 % in his lifetime, his personnel file from the company indicated no work problems at all ,due to his PTSD,and that his work had been satisfactory.  

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines