VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not service connected

Rate this question

Yharris

Question

Hello all. So I got my rating for multiple disabilities.  The main issue I thought would be awarded was Kidney Disease.  I have a sponge kidney and suffer from kidney stones frequently.  I had no issues before service.  I had a back injury and was continually given 800mg Motrin to help with the pain.  I did and have done research that states too much ibuprofen can cause kidney damage.  I'm at a crossroads.  I know that every issue a person develops can not be blamed on the service and I'm not trying to seem ungrateful because I truly am blessed for getting the  80% that I  was awarded but, I'm wondering if I should seek an attorney to get this issue service connected? Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you and have a good evening. 

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

what is your basis for claiming that your kidney disease is service connected? What was your doctor's rationale for creating the connection between service and your kidney disease? What did the denial actually say? 

Were you denied SC for this within a year?  Then an appeal is the first step.  

You are going to need medical evidence that your kidney issues is either secondary to an already SC issue, or that a doc opinies your kidney issue is at least as likely as not due to an inservice event.  

Good morning,  my claim just closed last week.  My rationale is that the damage to my kidney had to have been caused by the medication given to me for my back pain.  When I got out of service,  my primary care provider told me that sponge kidney occurs when you have consumed too much ibuprofen or if I have sickle cell and I don't have sickle cell disease. My kidneys were just fine upon enlisting.  If it's not service connected then I have no choice but to move on.  Just thought I would ask to see if any of you had any insight on this.  Thank you for responding 🙂

What did they prescribe, how much per dose, and how long did you take it? 

For example. I got out in 2002. For 6 months up to that point I was taking 3200 mg ibuprofen a day. After I got out and got home, I got into VA healthcare and was taking the same 3200 a day, plus Gabapentin 1600 a day. I asked about the same thing, potential damage to kidneys/liver from taking NSAIDS. I was told by VA and by my own doctor that it takes years of dosages like mine, or higher to get to a point to consider it a possibility.Took ibuprofen and Gaba for about 6 more years.  Its now 2020, I take tramado (an opioid)l and Etodalac- a stronger NSAID like iburprofen, but only 1 of those. Same strength, just fewer pills. No kidney damage or liver problems. 

You may have kidney problems from NSAIDS, but you are going to have a difficult time finding a doctor to prove it because it takes years of high dosages, and it only occurs in about 5% of patients. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1894754

Good luck to you. 

That is good that your claim just closed.  What was the decision, a denial or an award?  If you redact personal information and post it here we can help you decide which route to take.  

I was once on salsulate, a form of ibuprofen at 1600 mg a day, prescribed by a VA doctor.  When I went to see a urologist, he freaked out.  Was this prescribed or just something you were doing on your own?  It has bearing on how to file a claim.  If it was not prescribed for you I would first file an higher level review or supplemental review depending if you have new information.  You might need an IMO or independent medical opinion.  These are expensive usually but are usually a win at the board of veterans appeals if they have all of the right information.

Edited by vetquest

All meds were prescribed.  800 mg ibuprofen and naproxen.  I got injured in 1994 and took the medication until discharge off and on. I was granted SC for high blood pressure as well as for the injury to my back.  I also claimed UTI but that was also listed not service connected.  I am unable at the moment to upload my documents because I'm not good at doing that on my cell.  Don't get me wrong,  I am thankful for the percentage I was awarded.  I just know that there are some very knowledgeable people in our circle and just wanted to see if any others may have information about this.