VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Won claim!. Insurance and SS questions

Rate this question

nancygail

Question

Hello!

Not been on for a while but we just received notice my husband won his claim. The VA called and  scheduled  "meeting"  with him next month to go over the  decision. I've been searching the forum but what I've found is older so I'm unsure if its accurate so I hope I can get some clarity here. I have several questions but I'll start with these.  Below is a screenshot of his proof letter. 70% for combined eval and 100% for unemployability. 

HEALTH CARE

1. As his wife will I get insurance?
  2. Will there be a cost? 
  3. Will his health care change or does he still have to go to the VA hospital as always. 

SOCIAL SECURITY

He can get SS retirement this year. Does that impact anything?

Thanks so much!

Nancy Ü

VA.Award.jpg

Congratulations!

1.  Yes.  His wife should get Champva, and the letter should so state.  

2.  There is no cost for the Champva insurance.  (Its the best health insurance I have seen).   Also, he should get 10,000 of free life insurance (premiums waived).   The Veteran needs to apply for the life insurance as well as the waiver of premiums, this is not automatic.   This should benefit the wife, but its the Vets choice who to make the beneficiary(s).  

3.  The Veterans health care should not change "much" but he should be in a higher priority group.  https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/priority-groups/

Social Security:   Disabled Vets can also get social security disability are are supposed to be given priority in processing.  Depending on his age, SSD should be more than social security retirement.  When receiving social security disability, the Veteran can opt in or out of medicare part B.  Medicare part b allows a Veteran to get treatment outside of Va, if they so choose, but copays and deducatables may apply.   

I will add:  There are many other benefits for Veterans and their famalies, depending upon your state.  For example, my state gives 100 percent Vets (including Tdiu) a significant discount on property taxes, free hunting and fishing licenses, free disabled Vets license plates, and free camping.  

He should also get dental care through VA, gratis.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations on your hubby win

Look closely inside your hubby award packet  they should have sent the Champva FORMS to be filled out and mailed back ...if not cal the 1-800#and ask for these Champva iNSURANCE APPLICATIONS AND ALSO THE APPLICATION FOR THE FREE 10.000.00 LIFE INSURANCE POLICY TO BE PAID BY THE VA....SOME TIMES THEY DON'T SEND ALL THESE APPLICATIONS IN THE AWARD PACKET...THEY SHOULD BE INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT TO DO IN HIS AWARD PACKET..IF NOT AND YOU NEED AN ANSWER  THEN CALL THE 1-800# AND CHECK WITH THEM  THEY CAN INSTRUCT YOU ON WHAT TO DO..WE MIGHT LEAVE SOMETHING OUT!!!!

39 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Congratulations on your hubby win

Look closely inside your hubby award packet  they should have sent the Champva FORMS to be filled out and mailed back ...if not cal the 1-800#and ask for these Champva iNSURANCE APPLICATIONS AND ALSO THE APPLICATION FOR THE FREE 10.000.00 LIFE INSURANCE POLICY TO BE PAID BY THE VA....SOME TIMES THEY DON'T SEND ALL THESE APPLICATIONS IN THE AWARD PACKET...THEY SHOULD BE INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT TO DO IN HIS AWARD PACKET..IF NOT AND YOU NEED AN ANSWER  THEN CALL THE 1-800# AND CHECK WITH THEM  THEY CAN INSTRUCT YOU ON WHAT TO DO..WE MIGHT LEAVE SOMETHING OUT!!!!

Thanks you. Ü its been a LONG two years. There was no ChampVA in what we got. 19 pages of stuff. I thought ChampVA was only for retired vets?

52 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Congratulations!

1.  Yes.  His wife should get Champva, and the letter should so state.  

2.  There is no cost for the Champva insurance.  (Its the best health insurance I have seen).   Also, he should get 10,000 of free life insurance (premiums waived).   The Veteran needs to apply for the life insurance as well as the waiver of premiums, this is not automatic.   This should benefit the wife, but its the Vets choice who to make the beneficiary(s).  

3.  The Veterans health care should not change "much" but he should be in a higher priority group.  https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/priority-groups/

Social Security:   Disabled Vets can also get social security disability are are supposed to be given priority in processing.  Depending on his age, SSD should be more than social security retirement.  When receiving social security disability, the Veteran can opt in or out of medicare part B.  Medicare part b allows a Veteran to get treatment outside of Va, if they so choose, but copays and deducatables may apply.   

Thanks so much for that info. The part a and b was confusing. 

Thanks for the info. That lets me know a lot more than I did.

Another question: If I get disability (SSI) or any govt assistance do I need to claim his disability money as income?   I currently have medicaid. Do I switch to CHAMPVA? 

Edited by nancygail

This may vary.  With the IRS, you do not put down VA disability as income, as income from VA is not taxable for Vets.  Check with the specific program to see "what counts" as income.  You see, VA disability compensation isnt "earned income", rather its a monthly sum of money designed to compensate us for injuries incurred during military service.  My tax accountant told me "not" to list VA comp as income to IRS because it will confuse them.  VA comp is non taxable for IRS and at least my state, also.  

Here are more benefits you should look into:

https://hadit.com/100-percent-total-and-permanent-service-connected-disability-additional-benefits/