Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Won claim!. Insurance and SS questions

nancygail
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Hello!

Not been on for a while but we just received notice my husband won his claim. The VA called and  scheduled  "meeting"  with him next month to go over the  decision. I've been searching the forum but what I've found is older so I'm unsure if its accurate so I hope I can get some clarity here. I have several questions but I'll start with these.  Below is a screenshot of his proof letter. 70% for combined eval and 100% for unemployability. 

HEALTH CARE

1. As his wife will I get insurance?
  2. Will there be a cost? 
  3. Will his health care change or does he still have to go to the VA hospital as always. 

SOCIAL SECURITY

He can get SS retirement this year. Does that impact anything?

Thanks so much!

Nancy Ü

VA.Award.jpg

Congratulations!

1.  Yes.  His wife should get Champva, and the letter should so state.  

2.  There is no cost for the Champva insurance.  (Its the best health insurance I have seen).   Also, he should get 10,000 of free life insurance (premiums waived).   The Veteran needs to apply for the life insurance as well as the waiver of premiums, this is not automatic.   This should benefit the wife, but its the Vets choice who to make the beneficiary(s).  

3.  The Veterans health care should not change "much" but he should be in a higher priority group.  https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/priority-groups/

Social Security:   Disabled Vets can also get social security disability are are supposed to be given priority in processing.  Depending on his age, SSD should be more than social security retirement.  When receiving social security disability, the Veteran can opt in or out of medicare part B.  Medicare part b allows a Veteran to get treatment outside of Va, if they so choose, but copays and deducatables may apply.   

I will add:  There are many other benefits for Veterans and their famalies, depending upon your state.  For example, my state gives 100 percent Vets (including Tdiu) a significant discount on property taxes, free hunting and fishing licenses, free disabled Vets license plates, and free camping.  

He should also get dental care through VA, gratis.  

Edited by broncovet

Congratulations on your hubby win

Look closely inside your hubby award packet  they should have sent the Champva FORMS to be filled out and mailed back ...if not cal the 1-800#and ask for these Champva iNSURANCE APPLICATIONS AND ALSO THE APPLICATION FOR THE FREE 10.000.00 LIFE INSURANCE POLICY TO BE PAID BY THE VA....SOME TIMES THEY DON'T SEND ALL THESE APPLICATIONS IN THE AWARD PACKET...THEY SHOULD BE INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT TO DO IN HIS AWARD PACKET..IF NOT AND YOU NEED AN ANSWER  THEN CALL THE 1-800# AND CHECK WITH THEM  THEY CAN INSTRUCT YOU ON WHAT TO DO..WE MIGHT LEAVE SOMETHING OUT!!!!

39 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Congratulations on your hubby win

Look closely inside your hubby award packet  they should have sent the Champva FORMS to be filled out and mailed back ...if not cal the 1-800#and ask for these Champva iNSURANCE APPLICATIONS AND ALSO THE APPLICATION FOR THE FREE 10.000.00 LIFE INSURANCE POLICY TO BE PAID BY THE VA....SOME TIMES THEY DON'T SEND ALL THESE APPLICATIONS IN THE AWARD PACKET...THEY SHOULD BE INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT TO DO IN HIS AWARD PACKET..IF NOT AND YOU NEED AN ANSWER  THEN CALL THE 1-800# AND CHECK WITH THEM  THEY CAN INSTRUCT YOU ON WHAT TO DO..WE MIGHT LEAVE SOMETHING OUT!!!!

Thanks you. Ü its been a LONG two years. There was no ChampVA in what we got. 19 pages of stuff. I thought ChampVA was only for retired vets?

52 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Congratulations!

1.  Yes.  His wife should get Champva, and the letter should so state.  

2.  There is no cost for the Champva insurance.  (Its the best health insurance I have seen).   Also, he should get 10,000 of free life insurance (premiums waived).   The Veteran needs to apply for the life insurance as well as the waiver of premiums, this is not automatic.   This should benefit the wife, but its the Vets choice who to make the beneficiary(s).  

3.  The Veterans health care should not change "much" but he should be in a higher priority group.  https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/priority-groups/

Social Security:   Disabled Vets can also get social security disability are are supposed to be given priority in processing.  Depending on his age, SSD should be more than social security retirement.  When receiving social security disability, the Veteran can opt in or out of medicare part B.  Medicare part b allows a Veteran to get treatment outside of Va, if they so choose, but copays and deducatables may apply.   

Thanks so much for that info. The part a and b was confusing. 

Thanks for the info. That lets me know a lot more than I did.

Another question: If I get disability (SSI) or any govt assistance do I need to claim his disability money as income?   I currently have medicaid. Do I switch to CHAMPVA? 

Edited by nancygail

This may vary.  With the IRS, you do not put down VA disability as income, as income from VA is not taxable for Vets.  Check with the specific program to see "what counts" as income.  You see, VA disability compensation isnt "earned income", rather its a monthly sum of money designed to compensate us for injuries incurred during military service.  My tax accountant told me "not" to list VA comp as income to IRS because it will confuse them.  VA comp is non taxable for IRS and at least my state, also.  

Here are more benefits you should look into:

https://hadit.com/100-percent-total-and-permanent-service-connected-disability-additional-benefits/

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines