VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Won claim!. Insurance and SS questions

Rate this question

nancygail

Question

Hello!

Not been on for a while but we just received notice my husband won his claim. The VA called and  scheduled  "meeting"  with him next month to go over the  decision. I've been searching the forum but what I've found is older so I'm unsure if its accurate so I hope I can get some clarity here. I have several questions but I'll start with these.  Below is a screenshot of his proof letter. 70% for combined eval and 100% for unemployability. 

HEALTH CARE

1. As his wife will I get insurance?
  2. Will there be a cost? 
  3. Will his health care change or does he still have to go to the VA hospital as always. 

SOCIAL SECURITY

He can get SS retirement this year. Does that impact anything?

Thanks so much!

Nancy Ü

VA.Award.jpg

1 hour ago, nancygail said:

We were going to try and get him 100% disabled through the VA only and not TDIU as then he could do shows without worry from what we learned, though they said that could take up to 3 years. 

I briefly read through most of the post but something no one has mentioned or I missed it, I am not sure what your husband's breakdown of disabilities are but the closer a veteran gets to 95% to round up to become 100% scheduler it gets harder. VA math is not the math we learned in school.  Some times with VA counts  50% plus 10% plus 10% you would think is 70% but VA combine the ratings to only equal 60%.  When I was rated a combined 90% I had to get a new 40% just to get to 95% for VA to grant me 100% scheduler.  It can be done but it is very hard. This crazy rating chart was created to keep from paying too many veterans the 100% ratings.  Being rated 100% scheduler a veteran can legally work with no restrictions from VA. 100% TDIU veterans cannot work and are subject to re-evaluations. 

As I understand this, Nancy's husband is now P & T  and this is why they awarded CHAMPVA.

CHAMPVA has to be applied for separately and can be applied fr on line at the link, but they will need a copy of the award letter.(Unless the VA has started sending the CHAMPVA APP as enclosed with the award.

Also you ad any children are eligible ( depending on their age) for Chapter 35 DEA Educational Benefits and those apps should be with th award.

I finished my degree with Chap 35 DEA and am VERY happy VA paid for it . There is info to this benefit under a Chapter 35 or DEA search here.

VA asked on the app something to the affect of why I picked the college I picked, (AMU)  - I am a civilian and it was a Military  school, run by USMC,with enlisted and officers learning warfare leadership, intelligence methods,  etc etc etc 

so told them I work on a battlefield  ,aka , the VA claims process and I think I added my C file would reveal what I meant and they still paid for it.

I have applied tactical warfare maneuvers as well as Battle Command course to my claims as well as using it here , because most of the advice many of us give is based on our personal battles with the VA and being prepared and persistent pays off.

Wars ,that involve capturing the real estate of an enemy ,are not won in acreage, they are often won by yards at a time. Sort of like the VA claims process.

First civilian graduate with Honors 2007.

(My daughter, a veteran USAF Intel is working on her Masters. She never wanted to take advantage of herDEA award at all.)

The VA made a big error on her DEA award and Mommy fixed it with a scathing CUE/ NOD and they fixed it 3 weeks later.

She cursed so much when she called me about their initial grossly erroneous award letter, I thought she had re uped but into the Marine Corps.😃

I said " Welcome to my world!"

VA EDU is sometimes an Oxymoron.😠

PS- do you believe the Dec 2019 EED is correct?

It probably is but it pays to ask.

Edited by Berta

On 2/28/2020 at 8:29 AM, Berta said:

to add to the CHAMPVA questions:

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/champva/

Lots of info there and also a PDF of the large annual CHAMPVA pamphlet - it usually comes to my mail box around this time of year-I had one problem with a pharmacy issue year ago -and called the  CHAMPVA number in the handbook and within 10 minutes that problem was resolved.Champva called the Pharmacist, and he then called me to tell me they had a refund awaiting me.He had overcharged me, saying the med (maybe an antibiotic ?)was not approved by CHAMPVA, but he did not even  try to run it through CHAMPVA. I pulled out my CHAMPVA pamphlet  as soon as I got home, as the med  is listed right in the pamphlet  and  it is CHAMPVA approved.

Also we have interviewed Glenn Johnson of CHAMPVA many times in the radio shows we have done- those shows are available under a search here and his VA contact inf is in them for anyone with a CHAMPVA issue.

Thanks again Berta. I'll download the pdf!

On 2/28/2020 at 8:29 AM, Berta said:

to add to the CHAMPVA questions:

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/champva/

Lots of info there and also a PDF of the large annual CHAMPVA pamphlet - it usually comes to my mail box around this time of year-I had one problem with a pharmacy issue year ago -and called the  CHAMPVA number in the handbook and within 10 minutes that problem was resolved.Champva called the Pharmacist, and he then called me to tell me they had a refund awaiting me.He had overcharged me, saying the med (maybe an antibiotic ?)was not approved by CHAMPVA, but he did not even  try to run it through CHAMPVA. I pulled out my CHAMPVA pamphlet  as soon as I got home, as the med  is listed right in the pamphlet  and  it is CHAMPVA approved.

Also we have interviewed Glenn Johnson of CHAMPVA many times in the radio shows we have done- those shows are available under a search here and his VA contact inf is in them for anyone with a CHAMPVA issue.

Thanks again Berta. I'll download the pdf!  FYI, without doing research yet, is Dental covered for either me or my husband? 

CHAMPVA  does not cover Dental but provides a supplemental dental plan you can purchase,:

https://champva.us/veteran-champva-dental-plans/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw9vGxuT75wIVC9vACh28uAJvEAAYASAAEgLIsvD_BwE

Many SC vets ( I think they have to be 30% SC or more) can get dental care from the VA.

My husband at 30% got dental care but his teeth were always in excellent condition.

However I used his VA dental records as part of my proof that the VA had never diagnosed or treated his DMII from Agent Orange. I also used his driver's license and vision exam results at VA for that claim.

CHAMPVA pays for my Eye Doctor but not the glasses.

I use my eye doctor's  prescription to obtain extra pairs at an online reliable glasses site.

I got 2 pairs for 40 bucks once-on line ( non- bifocals) just for my phones - because if I do not recognize the caller, I do not answer the phone.

Edited by Berta
weather at high altitude

On 2/28/2020 at 8:37 AM, GBArmy said:

Nancygail One thing to keep in mind that sometimes TDIU gets converted eventually to P&T status. I don't recall how old your husband is, but if he continues with treatments and sessions he will also have periodic re-evals. Once he has reached late 50's and assuming it he has been rated several years, when he goes for a re-eval, he can ask the examiner that if he agrees he hasn't gotten better, could he be put in for P&T. So, if he kept his feet wet, so to speak, if he did get the P&T, he could maybe do more (paying) gigs. Just something to consider long range. The very best to you both. 

Thanks for that added info. We are both 61.  I'll copy this and save it in a file with my other advice I get. Ü