VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I complain to patient advocate?

Rate this topic

I'm wondering if patient advocate is the correct person to go to or if someone else would be better or let me know if I'm overreacting.

So Tuesday I went to a community provider for surgery to have gallbladder removed and part of my colon removed as well. The VA approved it ahead of time so that should be all set.

On Wednesday the hospital social worker came to my room and verified the VA would be my pharmacy and we talked about the requirements (VA needs prescription and notes to approve or deny themselves) and she said she had a VA contact who she was working with and that she faxed it over. The social worker then gave me the paper copy of prescription and the fax sheet that she used. 

Unfortunately I was going to be in hospital longer then expected (got out tonight) so Friday morning I sent secure message to them to verify I was all set for prescription. After a back and forth I was told they "finally received it". I was told that they were working through the issues (assume no notes sent) but that it would be ready for me to get Saturday (today) and that I could just show up to get it before 4 pm.

Later that day I got a voicemail reminding me to ONLY bring the paper prescription with me.

So today it looked likely I was going home but there was no way before 4pm so I called up the VA to make sure my wife could grab it for me. So I called and asked to speak with the pharmacy there and not the national number they normally transfer you to. I explained my situation to a person at the actual clinic I go to and she put me on hold to look into it. She said she checked and there was no prescription there for me and that I should of known procedure to bring in prescription with notes so a provider could look everything over and approve or deny. I gave her the names of everyone I spoke to and she said it wasn't possible as there were no providers there on the weekend. 

So I'm pretty upset at the idea I could of been discharged on a weekend without access to pain medicine I was told I was all set to get.

Luckily I double checked and worked with the hospital and found another way but I can't even imagine the agony I would of been in waiting until Monday.

Maybe I just dont "get" it.  So, its unclear what your complaint actually is.  You got the medication you wanted, tho you had some anxiety about maybe not being able to get it until Monday, but someone apparently came through for you and got you your meds.  (If I understood your post correctly).

I think maybe I would be pleased with whoever got you your meds so you didnt have to be without them for the weekend.  But that is just me.  

I try to save complaints for some serious problems which never got fixed, and yours got fixed and fixed before the weekend.  

When I applied for benefits, in 2002, they didnt delay me a weekend.  They delayed me 18 years, I lost my home.  I finally got them, but only after fighting them 18 years.  Probably virtually all of the people responsible are either retired or quit.  So, complaining wont accomplish much.  

So, even tho I dont like what happened, I have decided to help out others.  My mother taught me that if you work to make yourself happy you will never succeed.  But, if you work to make others happy, and be happy when they are happy, you cant help but be happy.  

For me, I would "save" going to the patient advocate something that she can do something about..and since your problem...getting your meds on time...has been solved, its unclear why you would want to contact the patient advocate.  

My mistake, people can't read my mind and if I don't make it clear can take it the wrong way.

I'm happy all is well, in fact things worked out better for me mostly and I'm completely happy about that.

I'm upset about the fact of what almost happened. I'm upset that it could of happened to ANY veteran. I know better, I know not to trust the VA I know that you need to double and triple check things, get it in writing, be proactive and go above and beyond to make things happen with the VA but I know that there are many veterans who don't know that. There are many veterans who do fall through the cracks, who do get screwed over like you in your story. 

To me all of it is unacceptable, it's a systemic issue with the VA so they don't deserve any type of pass or understanding IMO. I also think it's our own fault as Veterans for not raising all these issues and not really trying to pick on you but when we say how we've had it worse and it is what it is so don't complain is BS and doesn't help us any.

I was told by 3 people I was all set and not to worry. I saw the problem a mile away and made it known to all involved and it still happened. No veteran should have to deal with it.

Also I'm actually devoting my recovery time to fighting the VA on the issues you had. The fact that they clearly violate federal regulations and screw over veterans and their claims and don't pay out for years and leave veterans in awful places like you. I've reached out to a couple veteran organizations already and have heard back that they agree completely. If I get my money tomorrow for my claims in still fighting this issue for other veterans.

But hey I guess we can fight amongst ourselves and do nothing?

ETA: before I get upset over these things I ask people around me if it's rediculous. Friends, family, and even in this case medical professionals. The stunned looks I get and the disbelief that these things actually happen leave them in shock. 

Edited by Backpay

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet said 

So, even tho I dont like what happened, I have decided to help out others.  My mother taught me that if you work to make yourself happy you will never succeed.  But, if you work to make others happy, and be happy when they are happy, you cant help but be happy.  

Bronc, your Mom was a very wise woman.

Just thought I would update and give story a conclusion. I wasn't feeling up to going to clinic and talking directly to patient advocate so I sent a secure message this morning and am happy with the results. She was very appreciative of my message and detail provided and she was able to piece everything together. She just called me and explained everything and said they will be taking steps to prevent this from happening in future and staff in general will get additional training. I also suggested that when VA employees say something can't be done to offer alternative solutions and help problem solve using their knowledge of the VA system. 

So I'm happy, VA is happy and hopefully this helps prevent issues for other veterans in the future. Couldn't ask for better outcome.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like a pretty good ending. Hope they do what she told you they would do. If so, it will benefit everyone.