VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about BVA appeal

Rate this question

ed33

Question

Hi everyone,

I had questions about my BVA appeal. I was denied my higher level review so I opted to keep moving forward with a BVA review. When filling out the appeal I selected the in-person or video conference option. VA.gov shows I am waiting for my video conference date. However I am local to Washington DC and would like to actually go in person in front of the judge. How do I go about selecting that option? Do they just look at where you are located and pick an appropriate option? During the process it never specifically asked if I wanted in-person or video.

I appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, ed33 said:

Hi everyone,

I had questions about my BVA appeal. I was denied my higher level review so I opted to keep moving forward with a BVA review. When filling out the appeal I selected the in-person or video conference option. VA.gov shows I am waiting for my video conference date. However I am local to Washington DC and would like to actually go in person in front of the judge. How do I go about selecting that option? Do they just look at where you are located and pick an appropriate option? During the process it never specifically asked if I wanted in-person or video.

I appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Thanks

I was also denied at the DRO level.

When you file the appeals form, it asks for your choice in the options of in person hearings or video, etc. I have a video hearing coming myself, which is no different than an in-person (aside from the claim of the video hearing being faster somehow, but IMO, appeals are processed....when they become processed.) You can elect to "switch lanes" with the appropriate form, also located on the appeals page in va.gov ...however I have lost the link. It's better (IMO) to wait for the video hearing if you already have a docket number unless you have an absolutely critical reason for standing in front of the VLJ physically.

Edited by awgv001

5 minutes ago, awgv001 said:

I was also denied at the DRO level.

When you file the appeals form, it asks for your choice in the options of in person hearings or video, etc. I have a video hearing coming myself, which is no different than an in-person (aside from the claim of the video hearing being faster somehow, but IMO, appeals are processed....when they become processed.) You can elect to "switch lanes" with the appropriate form, also located on the appeals page in va.gov ...however I have lost the link. It's better (IMO) to wait for the video hearing if you already have a docket number unless you have an absolutely critical reason for standing in front of the VLJ physically.

Yea that's weird. So I filled out a VA Form 10182 (maybe it was the wrong form). But the only option to check says "Hearing with Veterans Law Judge: I want a Board Hearing and the opportunity to submit additional evidence in support of my appeal that I will provide 90 days after my hearing"

It doesn't have a place to specify anything further.

Did I fill out the wrong form?

34 minutes ago, ed33 said:

Yea that's weird. So I filled out a VA Form 10182 (maybe it was the wrong form). But the only option to check says "Hearing with Veterans Law Judge: I want a Board Hearing and the opportunity to submit additional evidence in support of my appeal that I will provide 90 days after my hearing"

It doesn't have a place to specify anything further.

Did I fill out the wrong form?

Not sure, --- I filed VA form 9 which gives the option of the video hearing

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA9.pdf