Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

This has to be a CUE

SPO
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

Question

Here is a copy and past directly out of my last decision letter.  They say that there was no connection to service at one point, but in the favorable finding mention a qualifying event in service being reported and a diagnosis by the VA at my initial claim exam in 2009/2010.  Am i missing something or are they wrong?

Service connection for a chronic right hip strain.
The claim for service connection for a chronic right hip strain is considered reopened. (38 CFR 3.156) However, the evidence continues to show that this condition was not incurred in or aggravated by military service. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304, 38 CFR 3.306) The Rating Decision dated June 1, 20 l 0, denied service connection for this condition because although you reported symptoms of a right hip condition during service, no chronic disabling condition was found to be related to your military service. The separation examination showed no chronic conditions. The VA medical opinion found no persistent disability. We received your medical evidence which discusses the symptoms of your medical condition.
The VA contract medical opinion dated December 15, 2018, was not based on a review of your claims file or an in-person examination.
The medical opinion we received from the VA contract examination was more persuasive than our private physician's opinion because it was based on an in-person examination and a thorough review of your relevant military and /or personal history and contained a more convincing rationale. (38 CFR 4.6) The evidence does not show that your condition resulted from, or was aggravated by, a service-connected disability. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304) The evidence does not show that your disease developed to a compensable degree within the specified time period after release from service to qualify for the presumption of service connection. (38 CFR 3.307, 38 CFR 3.309) The evidence does not support a change in our prior decision. Therefore, we arc confirming the previous denial of this claim.

Favorable Findings identified in this decision:
The evidence shows that a qualifying event, injury, or disease had its onset during your service.
You reported symptoms of a right hip condition in service.
You have been diagnosed with a disability. The prior VA examination diagnosed you with a right hip strain.

9 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, SPO said:

Here is a copy and past directly out of my last decision letter.  They say that there was no connection to service at one point, but in the favorable finding mention a qualifying event in service being reported and a diagnosis by the VA at my initial claim exam in 2009/2010.  Am i missing something or are they wrong?

The claim for service connection for a chronic right hip strain is considered reopened. (38 CFR 3.156) However, the evidence continues to show that this condition was not incurred in or aggravated by military service. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304, 38 CFR 3.306) The Rating Decision dated June 1, 20 l 0, denied service connection for this condition because although you reported symptoms of a right hip condition during service, no chronic disabling condition was found to be related to your military service. The separation examination showed no chronic conditions. The VA medical opinion found no persistent disability. We received your medical evidence which discusses the symptoms of your medical condition.
The VA contract medical opinion dated December 15, 2018, was not based on a review of your claims file or an in-person examination.
The medical opinion we received from the VA contract examination was more persuasive than our private physician's opinion because it was based on an in-person examination and a thorough review of your relevant military and /or personal history and contained a more convincing rationale. (38 CFR 4.6) The evidence does not show that your condition resulted from, or was aggravated by, a service-connected disability. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304) The evidence does not show that your disease developed to a compensable degree within the specified time period after release from service to qualify for the presumption of service connection. (38 CFR 3.307, 38 CFR 3.309) The evidence does not support a change in our prior decision. Therefore, we arc confirming the previous denial of this claim.

The evidence shows that a qualifying event, injury, or disease had its onset during your service.
You have been diagnosed with a disability. The prior VA examination diagnosed you with a right hip strain

The event is there as they report, but this sounds like it needs a Nexus to show continuity because they did not connect the dots on their own. Nexus needs to link the event to your current chronic conditions ALONG with a full review of your medical records and such to help tip the scale on the other examiner's opinion.

A concerning part of this decision is when they put "The VA medical opinion found no persistent disability"

Edited by awgv001

18 minutes ago, SPO said:

You have been diagnosed with a disability. The prior VA examination diagnosed you with a right hip strain.

Basically saying that your current condition/disability cannot even be rated at 0%. Did VA grant you a service connected rating greater than 0%?

Edited by pete992

@pete992 they denied his service connection outright. No SC, No %.

Edited by awgv001

One of the things that confuses me about VA decisions are how they are based.  Depending on how a veteran files his/her claim can kill the claim in development.  When a veteran files a claim, VA should consider all relevant avenues of service connection,  whether the veteran files presumptive,  secondary, and or directly service related.  I have known veterans that have filed claims under undiagnosed illness and get denied and turn around and filed a claim for direct service related and get granted, of course VA would use the direct related effective dates.

Can you clarify this:

"The VA contract medical opinion dated December 15, 2018, was not based on a review of your claims file or an in-person examination."

"The medical opinion we received from the VA contract examination was more persuasive than our private physician's opinion because it was based on an in-person examination and a thorough review of your relevant military and /or personal history and contained a more convincing rationale. (38 CFR 4.6) ".

Is the"our  private  physician's opinion"" a typo and 'our' should be 'your' private drs opinion?

Were there two contract VA medical opinions?

Can you scan and attach the denial and the evidence list?

(38 CFR 3.307, 38 CFR 3.309) in the decision- these are the Chronic presumptive regulations,yet this claim should be for direct SC.

If you had an IMO /IME did that doctor establish a nexus he/she found in your SMRs?.

• Like 1

Berta,  The "our" is probably a typo,  I submitted a DBQ from my Doc.  This stems back to my original claim in 2009 where they again stated there was evidence in my medical record and I reported hip issues.  I didn't specifically ask for this claim to be based on presumptive conditions, just the existing medical record.  My doc has since provided a nexus that it is psoriatic arthritis, linked to service connected psoriasis, diagnosed in 2016.  However, in the 2009/2010 decision said the doc called it less than 50/50 not sure why since there is evidence in my SMR.

"My doc has since provided a nexus that it is psoriatic arthritis, linked to service connected psoriasis, diagnosed in 2016.  However, in the 2009/2010 decision said the doc called it less than 50/50 not sure why since there is evidence in my SMR."

By  "My doc and then "the doc" do you mean here, the same doctor?

Can you scan and attach here what your Doctor wrote to support the nexus? ( Cover C fie tc names, prior to scanning it.

The VA's favorable findings do not jive with their denial.

Is it possible they just used your doctor's DBQ and not his subsequent nexus statement?

Forgot to add......

Was the claim filed due to an established  SC disability that aggravated an additional NSC disability-"right hip condition in service" that caused the hip disability to garner a ratable service connected award?

Aggravation of a NSC disabiity caused by an SC disability:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/admin21/m21_1/mr/part4/subptii/ch02/ch02_secb.doc

The initial claim in 2009 was diagnosed by a VA doctor (direct claim).  in 2016 my private doctor more specifically diagnosed it as psoriasis arthritis (secondary claim) to psoriasis.  I think psoriatic arthritis was the actual issue all along, but didn't know that in 2009.  Honestly his nexus was lacking in my most recent claim.  His simply said it was as least likely as not connected to/ caused by already service connected psoriasis in the remarks section on the DBQ.  He didn't provide much more than that.  The more times i read through this stuff the more I realize where I was lacking originally.

I don't think the VA doc provided a nexus, or at least not a good one.  I guess they assumed because it didn't come up at my separation exam that it went away or something.

The excerpt I put in to the initial topic is from a secondary claim from last year.  So I was denied in 2009/2010.  So I reapplied with a diagnosis and nexus for psoriasis arthritis on the same joint, and denied again.

Edited by SPO

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines