VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vestibular Migraine

Rate this question

Kuwaitin08

Question

Does anyone have any experience with vestibular migraines? I'm currently rated at 50% for migraines and have been diagnosed with vestibular migraines as well. It is a vestibular syndrome involving disruption in their balance and/or dizziness that may occur prior to, during, after, or totally independent of their migraine event.

Would this be able to be claimed as a different neurological condition than Migraines or would I have to just claim vertigo?

Thank you for your help.

6 answers to this question

Gee, that's a difficult one.  When I have migraines I can lose sight, balance, and have other issues (I appear very drunk).  The VA has denied me any grace about these symptoms because they go away after the migraine ends.  We have to play on the VA's dime and they do not consider migraines that serious.  The National migraine association (magnum) petitioned congress to change the ratings for migraine many years ago but it never went anywhere.

I do and I am rated for them separately for them, I won't lie it was a huge battle.  Mine are severe and I was seen during AD for an episode which was misdiagnosed as eustachian tube dysfuction.  My first claim was denied and the CP examiner didn't even conduct a proper exam and also called me a malingerer.  It took not only an official diagnosis of vestibular migraines from both the VA as well as SHANDS but also my neurologist stating that not only was my initial diagnosis most likely in error because no tests were performed but  that my vestibular migraines are more likely than not caused by my severe chronic migraines and that my vestibular migraines are severe and often debilitating.  Mine are so severe that I am often in a wheelchair, I have a service dog for balance (which was approved by the VA and his veterinary care is covered completely).  I don't think I would have ever gotten them service connected if my neurologist hadn't written then letter for me.  Being seen for the exact symptoms of my vestibular migraines while in service with a diagnosis wasn't enough apparently and the quack who did my CP exam was incompetent at best, thankfully the ENT who saw me was from SHANDS doing his residency and he immediately did some in office testing and then sent me to ensure it wasn't Menieres.  I have on a good day a balance deficit of 40-60% and it only gets worse from there.  Sadly, unlike meneires no matter how bad a vestibular condition is, the maximum rating is 30%.  Menieres even if it isn't impacting your hearing but slightly with my level of balance issues is 100%, good old VA ancient disability charts.  I get a higher rating for  incontinence, like wearing a bad is more life altering than being a huge fall risk and having to use an assistive device 🙄  I was already at 100% PT my fear was that if I do fall that any injury from that fall could seriously injury or kill me so I wanted to ensure that it was service connected.  Vestibular conditions are under ear when you look in the CFR

Following, I know exactly what you speak of (50% Migraines myself) I have had the most difficult time explaining to Neuro's what has been going on with me, and this diagnosis actually sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with, such as the dizziness goes away when the headaches stop. I plan to file vertigo second to Migraines now once I get the proper documentation, if they will diagnose as such.

20 hours ago, seminoles said:

I do and I am rated for them separately for them, I won't lie it was a huge battle.  Mine are severe and I was seen during AD for an episode which was misdiagnosed as eustachian tube dysfuction.  My first claim was denied and the CP examiner didn't even conduct a proper exam and also called me a malingerer.  It took not only an official diagnosis of vestibular migraines from both the VA as well as SHANDS but also my neurologist stating that not only was my initial diagnosis most likely in error because no tests were performed but  that my vestibular migraines are more likely than not caused by my severe chronic migraines and that my vestibular migraines are severe and often debilitating.  Mine are so severe that I am often in a wheelchair, I have a service dog for balance (which was approved by the VA and his veterinary care is covered completely).  I don't think I would have ever gotten them service connected if my neurologist hadn't written then letter for me.  Being seen for the exact symptoms of my vestibular migraines while in service with a diagnosis wasn't enough apparently and the quack who did my CP exam was incompetent at best, thankfully the ENT who saw me was from SHANDS doing his residency and he immediately did some in office testing and then sent me to ensure it wasn't Menieres.  I have on a good day a balance deficit of 40-60% and it only gets worse from there.  Sadly, unlike meneires no matter how bad a vestibular condition is, the maximum rating is 30%.  Menieres even if it isn't impacting your hearing but slightly with my level of balance issues is 100%, good old VA ancient disability charts.  I get a higher rating for  incontinence, like wearing a bad is more life altering than being a huge fall risk and having to use an assistive device 🙄  I was already at 100% PT my fear was that if I do fall that any injury from that fall could seriously injury or kill me so I wanted to ensure that it was service connected.  Vestibular conditions are under ear when you look in the CFR

I feel terrible for you. My symptoms are not nearly as severe as yours. Mine are frequent but are more of an annoyance for now. Dizziness when I stand up suddenly, random staggering without reason and nausea. Symptoms have been getting worse though. Cant wait to see what the future holds... Ughh...

20 hours ago, awgv001 said:

Following, I know exactly what you speak of (50% Migraines myself) I have had the most difficult time explaining to Neuro's what has been going on with me, and this diagnosis actually sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with, such as the dizziness goes away when the headaches stop. I plan to file vertigo second to Migraines now once I get the proper documentation, if they will diagnose as such.

I'll let you know how it goes for me. I have 3 hours of testing coming up. Time will tell.