VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Re-Exam - PTSD & Migraines Decision

Rate this question

awgv001

Question

I'm confused on how they talk about how there is an improvement somewhere.

Within the last 2 years, I had attempted suicide, and was placed on High-Risk, but have since came off of that assessment, with regular monthly scheduled visits with my LCSW.

(I don't know how they come to the conclusion of whether or not someone is a persistent danger to myself or others) - Sure feels that way to me.

In addition to that, I had lost my job, ( I was on the brink of being terminated and opted to leave before they could. ) The attempt came within months afterward.

When they say "persistent delusions or hallucination" are they looking for someone who is always "stuck" in a daydream, flashback, or what? (Note - I have intrusive thoughts multiple times a day)

Pretty sure that's none of that is an improvement from my last exam, and worse, if anything.

Though the rating remains the same, I had already been worried about situations like these, and I want to show the raters that there was never any improvement, shape or form.

I agree that Anxiety levels wax and wane, this stuff just doesn't go away for me though.

Migraines - This surprised me, they actually increased my migraines ( I hadn't reported anything different since my exit exam in service ) all of my prior decisions, and the doctor reports show at least 2 prostrating attacks (since 2012). Yet this time the rating properly reflects this. (The doctor in the first claim wrote that I didn't miss any work, but had 2 episodes per month, meanwhile my CO wrote that I missed 40 hours of work p/w)

What gives? I'm not complaining about the "increase" I'm now just puzzled about what happened back then, as well as the other re-exam (2015 for Migraines only)?

RatingDecisionPTSD2020.jpg

RatingDecisionPTSD2020(2).jpg

1 answer to this question

As far as your PTSD and migraines, one improving and one getting worse, the VA is very subjective on these decisions.  A lot depends on how the doctor writes the C&P and how good a day your rater is having.  It is unfortunate that it happens this way but this is how the VA works.  In the migraine decision it worked out in your favor, in the PTSD opinion it could hurt you later.  Keep your appointments and your medication on schedule.  The VA usually sees not having appointments and not taking your medication as an improvement.  

As for losing your job it would have been better if you stayed to the bitter end (that information is for anyone else reading this and still employed).  Then you have documentation of losing your job due to your service connected disability.  I would file for TDIU and request your supervisor and/or human resources to write a letter detailing how your disabilities make your work substandard.  If you file for TDIU they will send a letter to your employer anyway.  I went on FMLA and then was terminated when my doctor said I could no longer continue my job.  If you are denied then appeal to the BVA when necessary.  Some people get TDIU on their first try, it took me ten years.

Good luck awgv001.