VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ebenefits Effective date

Rate this question

Bsmothers

Question

I just received my rating for PTSD an on ebenefits its says service connected with an effective date of 06/11/2018, but when I go to va.gov an print the letter out it says "The effective date of the last change to your current award was: 12/19/2019. I filed this claim on 01/15/2019. I'm a little confused on which one will be my effective date concerning back pay. 

4 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

Are you within 1 year of separation from the military?  Normally they will not go back past the date filed unless you are within that first year.  Or are you sure you did not start the claim 6 months earlier and then finish it later?

Your dates are kind of all over the place.  Once you get the letter take out your personal information and post it if you would like us to see if there is an error. 

It sounds like the VA has made a mess of this.  If your effective date is not your claim date they are probably saying your effective date is the date of your last examination.  I do not know how they messed this up so bad but that is not surprising for the VA.  You can contact the VA and tell them they will most likely give you a solid effective date.  Depending on the information in your files and the decision you may want to appeal for an EED.  I was just successful in claiming an earlier effective date though what is now the HLR so it is possible.   Please provide us information as shrekthetank1 has requested and we will do all we can to help.

21 hours ago, Bsmothers said:

I just received my rating for PTSD an on ebenefits its says service connected with an effective date of 06/11/2018, but when I go to va.gov an print the letter out it says "The effective date of the last change to your current award was: 12/19/2019. I filed this claim on 01/15/2019. I'm a little confused on which one will be my effective date concerning back pay. 

This is most likely because of COLA adjustments, which are typically done in December. I recently saw a post that was similar to this that was questioned in the same manner. Your effective date MAY be the 06/11 date you posted, but with what little information we have we can only speculate. (Presumptive claim?, direct service connection?, BVA appeal? We don't know.) You should also be able to see your retro soon, and calculate how many months/years at your rating to find the right change.

Edited by awgv001

Wait for your decision letter, ebenefits and va.gov are notorious out dated.  Your decision should explain the breakdown. Cola adjustments are always 12/1/xx of each year. There are too many variables to speculate without the rating decision.