Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Appeal closed and granted and no decision letter

CE AirForce
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

I had an appeal close on January 8th 2020. According to va.gov and it said granted and closed and overturned original decision My VSO says it is still open and the narrative is written saying I was granted 20 percent back and 10 percent left leg radiculopathy but they havent calculated back pay. I am at  80% now and this granted appeal will put me at 90%. I am concerned that I havent received a decision letter because I have an expedited TDIU claim in process. What are the odds that they will not include my back injur on the TDIU claim. I did list it as SC on my TDIU claim because of my VSO saying it is pretty much granted.

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

I had a claim close at the end of January. I called 1-800-827-1000 and they were able to verify the decision letter was posted in their system. That same day, instead of waiting, I drove to my VSO and they printed it out for me. Your VSO should have access to VBMS (if they are accredited).

As far as why they have not calculated the back pay, that's a bit of a mystery to me. Your VSO should be able to look in VBMS and see if the backpay has actually been calculated. Mine told me that there was one amount, but a day later it was recalculated to another amount due to a correction. My decision letter did not tell me the total retro amount, but it did state the new amount for each year range and dependency change. If you might be due a larger retro amount, it will have to be approved by higher up levels in the VBA. Sometimes that can take a bit.

Keep in mind that you'll only get back pay if your combined rating increased. I remember being at 90% and had a few smaller %'s get granted, but it didn't push me to the 100% mark. I can't speculate if they are rolling in the back injury into the TDIU request. However, if you do get TDIU granted, they will pay you at 100%.

I hope this helps! Please keep us informed of your progress.

Over the years this site has helped me so much. Thank you for your response. The only information I have been able to get from the DAV or the VA is rating information.  Essentially they have me rated at 10% from my original claim in 2015 until november of 2019. Then 20% back and 10% left leg radiculopathy from then onward. With the granted appeal it puts me from my current rating of 80% to 90%. Honestly without that appeal being considered I dont know if my claim is strong enough for TDIU

Current rating:

50% PTSD

30% Asthma

30% IBS

10% Hip strain  0% hip strain with impairment of the thigh 0% hip strain with limitation of extention

10% Non allergic rhinitus

My claim got expedited for financial hardship and I had mental exam today and medical tomorrow. I will ask the VSO they do have access to VBMS if they can see anymore. I do know through peggy and IRIS that it is now at Jackson MS regional office but apart from that nothing else. I will surely look at the EED and see if they are correct thanks for the heads up on that. 

Honestly what kills me is it says granted and closed on January 8th and also says overturned original decision on va.gov but the VA and my VSO says it is still open in their system. I know enough not to trust ebennnies  but for it to say that and get no letter or answer is criminal. Also the AMA supplemenral TDIU claim I have now says  we dont know your status and 1 compensation issue. No way to upload any documents like lets say an annual annuitant report of earned income letter. Why does that site exist?

Update: I finally won my 5 year battle with my back injury. 

-Degenerative arthritis with spinal stenosis, lumbar spine 20%

-Radiculopathy, left lower extremity 10%

The notification letter was sent out today according to the 800 number. I am able to see the breakdown on Ebennies.

My final c and p exam for TDIU is Wednesday. After that I will play the waiting game for that claim. 

• Like 1

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, CE AirForce said:

Update: I finally won my 5 year battle with my back injury. 

-Degenerative arthritis with spinal stenosis, lumbar spine 20%

-Radiculopathy, left lower extremity 10%

The notification letter was sent out today according to the 800 number. I am able to see the breakdown on Ebennies.

My final c and p exam for TDIU is Wednesday. After that I will play the waiting game for that claim. 

Congratulations! I hope your TDIU exam and findings go well.

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines