VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeal closed and granted and no decision letter

Rate this question

CE AirForce

Question

I had an appeal close on January 8th 2020. According to va.gov and it said granted and closed and overturned original decision My VSO says it is still open and the narrative is written saying I was granted 20 percent back and 10 percent left leg radiculopathy but they havent calculated back pay. I am at  80% now and this granted appeal will put me at 90%. I am concerned that I havent received a decision letter because I have an expedited TDIU claim in process. What are the odds that they will not include my back injur on the TDIU claim. I did list it as SC on my TDIU claim because of my VSO saying it is pretty much granted.

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

I had a claim close at the end of January. I called 1-800-827-1000 and they were able to verify the decision letter was posted in their system. That same day, instead of waiting, I drove to my VSO and they printed it out for me. Your VSO should have access to VBMS (if they are accredited).

As far as why they have not calculated the back pay, that's a bit of a mystery to me. Your VSO should be able to look in VBMS and see if the backpay has actually been calculated. Mine told me that there was one amount, but a day later it was recalculated to another amount due to a correction. My decision letter did not tell me the total retro amount, but it did state the new amount for each year range and dependency change. If you might be due a larger retro amount, it will have to be approved by higher up levels in the VBA. Sometimes that can take a bit.

Keep in mind that you'll only get back pay if your combined rating increased. I remember being at 90% and had a few smaller %'s get granted, but it didn't push me to the 100% mark. I can't speculate if they are rolling in the back injury into the TDIU request. However, if you do get TDIU granted, they will pay you at 100%.

I hope this helps! Please keep us informed of your progress.

Over the years this site has helped me so much. Thank you for your response. The only information I have been able to get from the DAV or the VA is rating information.  Essentially they have me rated at 10% from my original claim in 2015 until november of 2019. Then 20% back and 10% left leg radiculopathy from then onward. With the granted appeal it puts me from my current rating of 80% to 90%. Honestly without that appeal being considered I dont know if my claim is strong enough for TDIU

Current rating:

50% PTSD

30% Asthma

30% IBS

10% Hip strain  0% hip strain with impairment of the thigh 0% hip strain with limitation of extention

10% Non allergic rhinitus

My claim got expedited for financial hardship and I had mental exam today and medical tomorrow. I will ask the VSO they do have access to VBMS if they can see anymore. I do know through peggy and IRIS that it is now at Jackson MS regional office but apart from that nothing else. I will surely look at the EED and see if they are correct thanks for the heads up on that. 

Honestly what kills me is it says granted and closed on January 8th and also says overturned original decision on va.gov but the VA and my VSO says it is still open in their system. I know enough not to trust ebennnies  but for it to say that and get no letter or answer is criminal. Also the AMA supplemenral TDIU claim I have now says  we dont know your status and 1 compensation issue. No way to upload any documents like lets say an annual annuitant report of earned income letter. Why does that site exist?

Update: I finally won my 5 year battle with my back injury. 

-Degenerative arthritis with spinal stenosis, lumbar spine 20%

-Radiculopathy, left lower extremity 10%

The notification letter was sent out today according to the 800 number. I am able to see the breakdown on Ebennies.

My final c and p exam for TDIU is Wednesday. After that I will play the waiting game for that claim. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, CE AirForce said:

Update: I finally won my 5 year battle with my back injury. 

-Degenerative arthritis with spinal stenosis, lumbar spine 20%

-Radiculopathy, left lower extremity 10%

The notification letter was sent out today according to the 800 number. I am able to see the breakdown on Ebennies.

My final c and p exam for TDIU is Wednesday. After that I will play the waiting game for that claim. 

Congratulations! I hope your TDIU exam and findings go well.