VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New conditions added to increase

Rate this question

Tml

Question

I’m new here and I’m not sure if I’m doing this right. Anyway, I have a claim (increase) in process right now. I signed in to check the status and I discovered that in addition to the increase there were also a few  new conditions that I had never previously claimed added. They are symptoms of my main issue, but I never claimed them. I just described my overall struggles. I guess my question is: is this a good thing to happen? This is my second time applying for an increase.the completion date also moved up from may 15 to March 15 (just a few days from now....). I am just really anxious about this as doing this particular claim was extremely difficult for me emotionally and I want to have some sort of idea what to expect. Thank you

5 answers to this question

Welcome to hadit.  Yes, most of us have been through that.  

Like yourself, I had multiple claims going on at once, including one(s) for increase.  There are at least 2 schools of thought on this:

1.  Keep everything seperate and wait until claim a is done before moving on to claim b.  This option is expensive, and costs retro dollars because your effective date cant be earlier than the date you first applied. (There are some exceptions to this).  

2.  Apply for them all at once, or whenever the need arises, regardless of the outcome of other claims.  *I recommend this.  "Waiting to file" costs you retro.  How much can you afford to lose by waiting?  For me, the answer is I cant afford to lose anything.  

1 hour ago, Tml said:

I’m new here and I’m not sure if I’m doing this right. Anyway, I have a claim (increase) in process right now. I signed in to check the status and I discovered that in addition to the increase there were also a few  new conditions that I had never previously claimed added. They are symptoms of my main issue, but I never claimed them. I just described my overall struggles. I guess my question is: is this a good thing to happen? This is my second time applying for an increase.the completion date also moved up from may 15 to March 15 (just a few days from now....). I am just really anxious about this as doing this particular claim was extremely difficult for me emotionally and I want to have some sort of idea what to expect. Thank you

I would say yes.  It doesn't mean that VA will grant these conditions but depending on your ratings, there are times when VA can separate them and grant additional separate ratings.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete is correct but, I have also observed that the VA will add additional disabilities to your claim and then deny them because you didn't have supporting evidence. What that does is discourage the veteran not to figure out he or she should submit a new disability claim in the future. After all, they already disapproved the new disability, so you might not appeal. Kinda a preemptive strike. That said, more often than not, it usually is a plus for the veteran on the add ons, IMO.

If you have signed a POA (POWER OF ATTORNEY) is it possible that they could have added the claims?

DAV, American Legion, or maybe an attorney?

Edited by pete992

I filed an NOD for an EED several years ago and had the VA add an increase for my neuropathy.  I am not sure why they did this in that they did not deny it or approve it when they awarded my EED.  The VA operates in some strange and trying ways sometimes.