VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who do I contact to file a complaint about patient care? Patient advocate I don’t trust.

Rate this question

daroosta

Question

Hi there I have been having issues with various VA providers over the course of time. Rudeness and not so nice comments as well. I am not wanting to rock the boat, But I would truly like to address my concerns without fear of Retaliation from the VA. I also don’t think the patient advocates are worth two nickels. With someone please help and suggest who I can write a letter to. Would it be the chief of staff?  Head of the patient advocates?  The directors office?  Or the director of the VISN?  Please help as I am at a loss. Thanks. 

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Great advice- any complaints I had with the local VAMC, that caused me to contact the Director, were brief- I told them the problem, in person, after getting an appointment, suggested any possible solutions to fix the problem,  and what I expected them to do about it.

Also- I have a good friend who is very difficult for VA to deal with. They almost killed him so I don't quite  blame him for being angry-but most of his anger is due to Vietnam ( SC PTSD, 2 GSWs etc etc).

If he had a problem, he gave the Patient advocate my name and contact #and his permission to allow me to talk to the Patient advocate in his behalf.

After knowing him since 1988, I was aware of all of his medical issues.

I only had to do that 2 or 3 times but it helped considerably and the VA fixed the problem very quickly.

You might be able to have a friend or your spouse if you have one ,do that for you.

Yea thanks for advice. I’m not sure if I can have an appt or not with the director at my VA. Have no clue If  it’s possible or not. Don’t how I would be recieved either. So it’s a bit daunting to me. Not sure how to proceed yet. I was considering the VISN Director actually. Even above the local VA director. What would be best?  I mean would they really make time for a pee on like me?      What do I do?  Just walk upstairs to the administrative offices and ask to see the director?  That seems unrealistic and crazy. Do advise. Thanks. 

Edited by daroosta

I did that once- just walked into the Director.'s office and someone called the VA Police.

( because they knew I had filed FTCA against them) I asked the cops to arrest me so I could be in the Corning Leader Newspaper and tell my story.The cops left the room.)

However ( and the results of my 2-3 meetings with him became very probative to my FTCA case) as he fully agreed with my charges of malpractice, after a thorough review of my dead husband's VA med recs, and sent this Peer Review to the Regional Counsel, who called me up and wanted to begin negotiations for wrongful death)

If you give me your RO's name I can find their director's phone # and email for you- as well as the proper Visn  contact info.

Many here gave you excellent suggestions.

You are not a "pee-on".

You vets and us widows/widowers of vets, justify the VA system. 

It was created for all of you- but when VA becme a cabinet post things really went downhill.

And of course, I am aware of the"deep state" nature of the VA.

For the many,many  dedicated employees of VA who work diligently and with respect and compassion for our vets, at every level of VA, they work often, side by side, with idiots or those who are incompetent,  or illiterate or just plain lazy assed people ( just like some of our so called service org vet reps)

I suggest Calling or emailing the director and sending the VISN director a CC of that meeting request.

State your problem and keep it brief.

I have used the patient advocates numerous times and I have always gotten a call from the Chief of that dept.  People were reassigned due to 2 complaints of severe rudeness.  Now that Trump has said they can be fired I’ve noticed a difference in staff rudeness.

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess every VAMC is different  but should have the same protocol  or  through the chain of command  people are going to be different all across the nation.

At my VAMC  Dallas Tx  the'' patient advocates'' seem useless to me and I don't know of any veteran they actually helped?

I talk to a patient advocate and left  and through the big glass window at their office I seen him toss the pieces of paper I had give him in the trash can.  But like I said it just depends on your VAMC and the authorities that work there.  people are different and hopefully your Director will listen to you and work something out with your complaint. 

I would write a note to the Hospital Director  Address it specifically to the Hospital Director  and ask if you can make an appointment with him at his most earliest convenience give your name last 4 & phone  contact # and current address  and he should send you a letter for the time  and date of his appointment ,or call you.

once you get the appointment set up  then this is when you can discuss your complaint.

Just and put the note  in a drop box there at the hospital  they will give the note to the director.

My advice was wrong-I have contacts for VAROs- not VAMCs. Sorry!!!!

This link can possible help-

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/state.asp?STATE=NY&dnum=ALL

Or file an IRIS complaint.

Buck's suggestion is good too!- we have a drop box at my VAMC-I am sure they all  do- I think the local VAMC has one  right in the lobby. And if you call  the main VAMC number you can ask for the Director's office.