VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My chances of getting med board

Rate this question

JT56

Question

Hello, I am possibly getting med boarded and i have lower back pain, i can barely rotate my arm without pain and my foot causes a lot of pain and my toes become stiff and numb. What are my chances that i can be labeled un fit or fit for duty and possibly the percentage i may receive?

Short answer:  We dont know.  

As far as getting med boarded for back pain, my first question would be is this "acute" or "chronic".  Acute pain resolves itself and doesnt return.  Chronic means it goes on and on..for years.  

As far as disability for your back pain, the first question is would it be service connected?  

Did you have back pain prior to service?  

Is it acute or chronic?

Does it limit your ability to work?  Can you be retrained in a sedentary position, such as a computer programmer?  

Does the pain show up on an xray?  MRI?  Or will it heal up with muscle relaxants?  

Im sure you dont want all those questions, but you will likely have to satisfy those for VA at least, before you get SC compensation.  

But, lets use an example, which may or may not apply to you:

Lets say your back hurts, is chronic, and is service connected (big assumption), and shows on xray.  

My guess may be 20 percent, but that is based on the above.  Different factors would change this, it could be anywhere between 0 and 100 percent.    Best is if you read this, compare your symptoms to the criteria as I have not read your file:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.71a

45 minutes ago, JT56 said:

Hello, I am possibly getting med boarded and i have lower back pain, i can barely rotate my arm without pain and my foot causes a lot of pain and my toes become stiff and numb. What are my chances that i can be labeled un fit or fit for duty and possibly the percentage i may receive?

IMHO, sorry no one can really answer your question.  We barely speculate of whether a veteran will get service connection and or may be an increase but there is no way we can figure out what the MED BOARD would do.  Just make sure if you are discharge from the military you get all your symptom documented.  Make sure you get a copy of your military records both the medical and personnel records.  Make sure you get any buddies letters if a buddy knows about your condition.  Keep in mind that the MED BOARD and VA are two different animals.  Also make sure you file a claim within one year of your discharge/release from the military. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronc and Pete are spot on; way too many unknowns. Get your med file, as as much as you can, to take with you. Another important thing that you younger guys can take advantage of. Get the personal data, email, phone #, address, etc. of your buddies. Keep in touch with them; you can get, or provide buddy letters about your physical conditions from them. Back in the day, us old guys didn't have that opportunity, or, we weren't smart enough to get that info. It can come in pretty handy someday. Good luck. Come back and ask questions when you get a decision.

Hello, i have  developed chronic pain during service in my foot/ankle, back and right arm. I have an xray showing i have degenerative disk disease and none of my pain has improved with relaxants or any other medicines. I cant sit in my chair or walk for more than 10 minutes without feeling extreme pain. Does anyone have an opinion on what could possibly happen to me during the med board process. I understand no one will TRULY know what will happen.

We now have an "all volunteer" military.  Does your doctor say you are unfit for duty?  This is going to be the determing factor, what your doctor says.  

As I explained earlier, it may be too early to tell if this is acute or chronic pain.  

VA benefits are not paid for acute pain.  Only for chronic pain that goes on and on and continues year after year.  The doctor may not even know if this is chronic pain yet.  

The only advice I have is to be honest, and keep a copy of all your records.  Oh, and when you get out, file for disability within a year.  

1 hour ago, JT56 said:

Hello, i have  developed chronic pain during service in my foot/ankle, back and right arm. I have an xray showing i have degenerative disk disease and none of my pain has improved with relaxants or any other medicines. I cant sit in my chair or walk for more than 10 minutes without feeling extreme pain. Does anyone have an opinion on what could possibly happen to me during the med board process. I understand no one will TRULY know what will happen.

Maybe not in your specific case, but I have been through the med board process. Now is the time to speak to Doc about your injuries and get copies of your med folder and all reports. Talk to the people you serve with and get statements in regard to those injuries as well from an observational standpoint. "He was limping everywhere" that sort of stuff. Ask questions, proofread any correspondence from the med board and your exam doctors if they decide you are unfit and process you.

Also, you can check pebforum for better detail regarding med boards, and DoD rating criteria is based on your MOS and if you're able to do your duties or not anymore.

Should give you a better idea of where you stand anyways.

Edited by awgv001