VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange DENIED MCAS EL Toro

Rate this question

WomanMarine

Question

I have had heart troubles all my adult life.

Up until last year I had no idea I had Ischemic heart disease. I had a CABG in August. It failed in December when I had to have 8 stents and a week later another stent AFTER a heart attack. I filed for Agent Orange connection, as that is what I believe has caused this, and this is the comment I gleaned from MHV: 

"Per VAVBA/CO/211/AGENT ORANGE 1/9/2020:
DoD HAS NOT identified any location on El Toro Marine Corps Air Station,California, where Agent Orange was used, tested, stored, or transported. Therefore, Compensation Service can provide no evidence to support the claim."

El Toro was shut down by the EPA in 1990 because of contamination!

FAMILY HISTORY: Father died at age 56, congenital coronary artery disease. (I don't believe this to be true, as he had a stroke and I 'think' that is different)

Left Ventricle: The left ventricle was not enlarged. There are no
wall motion abnormalities. The ejection fraction is 55%

8/12/2019 ECHO
Conclusion:
1. Normal left ventricular systolic function. Moderate conecntric
left ventricular hypertrophy. Ejection fraction is visually
estimated at 60%. Mild hypokinesis of inferior wall.

Date of interview-based METs test: 2/6/2020
Symptoms during activity:
The METs level checked below reflects the lowest activity level at
which the Veteran reports any of the following symptoms attributable
 to a cardiac condition (check all symptoms that the Veteran reports
 at the indicated METs level of activity):

[X] Dyspnea
 [X] Fatigue
 [X] Angina
 [X] Dizziness
 Results of interview-based METs test
 METs level on most recent interview-based METs test:

[X] (1-3 METs) This METs level has been found to be consistent
 with activities such as eating, dressing, taking" ... ETC. 

###

So, it appears, they are not going to SC my heart because of AO. BUT they gave me a low METS ...

I am now 90% P&T will this add to the score since it is not SC?

On 3/17/2020 at 7:32 AM, Berta said:

You posted in two threads- please do not overlook the Superb advice that has been posted in your other thread:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/77563-agent-orange-time-bomb-went-off/#comments

Thanks Berta! I do have this topic bookmarked.

Last week I received notification that they were not going to tie my Ischemic Heart Disease to AO. I will appeal with the info supplied. See you in a year or so ... 😕

I regret they denied you but as I mentioned before, you need to prove they used AO where you were, inservice and that your MOS put you exactly where it was used.

That is how James Scripps (searchable here) won the very first AO CONUS claim.

I am sure the BVA link is in that thread- if not it is searchable here at hadit.

The wording of a claim can sometimes determine the results. Your claim was for AO exposure. The VA chokes in the words Agent Orange. A claim for herbicide exposure is a much easier route to success. To obtain your objective, seeing that you are already at 90%, is to go for the next best and much easier to obtain award of TDIU. 

Depending on your health and situation you might consider applying for your benefits through VOC rehab. The first thing they will do is determine if you might be employable if re trained or better educated. Most probably you will get a letter from VR&E, telling you that you are not a candidate for VR&E because you are not employable for any jobs in today's job market. They will offer you the ILP program instead. (a good thing for you.). Use the VR&E letter to substantiate your TDIU claim.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, jamescripps2 said:

The wording of a claim can sometimes determine the results. Your claim was for AO exposure. The VA chokes in the words Agent Orange. A claim for herbicide exposure is a much easier route to success. To obtain your objective, seeing that you are already at 90%, is to go for the next best and much easier to obtain award of TDIU. 

Depending on your health and situation you might consider applying for your benefits through VOC rehab. The first thing they will do is determine if you might be employable if re trained or better educated. Most probably you will get a letter from VR&E, telling you that you are not a candidate for VR&E because you are not employable for any jobs in today's job market. They will offer you the ILP program instead. (a good thing for you.). Use the VR&E letter to substantiate your TDIU claim.

James is right on. That VR Feasiblity Letter is great proof for IU. Get that free evaluation from Chaptor 31 VR Counselor. They will most likely deny you and in return state that in a letter. Use that letter to submit in IU claim. Good luck to you.