VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IMO VERBAGE

Rate this question

KeithJ

Question

Morning All, 

I've looked through tons of the IMO posts and noticed that ALOT of them are old (5-10 years) and have nothing on what verbage or key words the VA looks for in an IMO. I have one from my civilian PCP regarding my lower back issues and while it explains the worsening of those issues from the last X-ray they took I feel it might be missing something that the appeals board would pick up on. She'll redo it if I need it redone but I'd rather have her redo it once and not have to keep going back asking to add this word or phrase. Any assistance is Greatly Appreciated!! Thank You for taking the time to read and again for responding.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Morning All, 

I've looked through tons of the IMO posts and noticed that ALOT of them are old (5-10 years) and have nothing on what verbage or key words the VA looks for in an IMO. I have one from my civilian PCP regarding my lower back issues and while it explains the worsening of those issues from the last X-ray they took I feel it might be missing something that the appeals board would pick up on. She'll redo it if I need it redone but I'd rather have her redo it once and not have to keep going back asking to add this word or phrase. Any assistance is Greatly Appreciated!! Thank You for taking the time to read and again for responding.

I'll agree to disagree here, if that's alright. @Berta has widely covered IMO's along with several other Hadit Elders and many others have weighed in on the EXACT verbiage that is accepted by the VA. Regardless of how old the posts are, the facts of the matter are the same, "is as likely as not" "is due to" "is most/more likely to..."

Not trying to spotlight here either, sorry if it comes off that way.

How about you redact (personal information) the IMO you have from your doctor, and upload it here and we can pick it apart for weaknesses, such as missing "reviewed all records" or "my opinion is based on medical reports such as ...""..."

It has been my personal experience that IMO's are fairly easy to obtain, albeit that some come with a price tag if you go with private IMO's - but from what I have seen these IMO's in particularly are more thoroughly completed. Again, everyone's case is different, and ever time you visit a doctor you aren't completely sure how it will go if and once they produce some kind of material for you to drag into battle.

Once again, redact the info, post it in this thread, then we can assist you better.

Edited by awgv001

Yes, IMO's have to be written correctly.  VA has their own way, and if not, its the Hiway (denial).  Most "regular" doctors are unfamiliar with "VA way" IMO's.  Best to get an IMO with a physician FAMILIAR WITH VA.  Some specialize in VA IMO's.  

It may be impractical for us to "teach" your doc how to do a VA IMO.  He may resent us typing it out and him signing it, any way.  

Berta recently "bumped" the IMO and what it needs.  It needs these 4 things, for sure, in summary:

1.  The doctor has to prove competence.  A phd in "basketball" can not make a competent opinion on your knee arthritis, for example.  He needs to submit his CV, or at least a paragraph of his training and medical experience in diagnosis and treatment of knee injuries, for example.  

2.  He has to say "he reviewed your records."  

3.  He has to give the nexxus in a format VA understands.  Good is "the veterans (in serice event, such as jumping from airplanes) at least as likely as not" led to his current knee diagnosis".   It wont work for the doctor to say, "The Veterans parachute jumps in service "could" or "may" have caused his current knee diagnosis.  

4.  He must give a medical rationale as to why he rendered this opinion.  (example:  Studies at Harvard univeristiy medical shcool showed a link between jumping out of airplanes and future knee problems)

• HadIt.com Elder

Great advice above from awgv001  & Moderator broncovet

Keith J  Quoted

'' I've looked through tons of the IMO posts and noticed that ALOT of them are old (5-10 years) and have nothing on what verbage or key words the VA looks for in an IMO.''

Some of the IMO post you notice are (5-10 years) but your wrong  on quoting '' they have nothing on what the verbage or key words the VA looks for in an IMO ''..they do my fellow Veteran brother  they do and Most IMO's need this ''verbiage'' and its been that way for years and years.

Please re read Hadit - Moderator  broncovet post above.

And welcome to Hadit.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use