VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will having successful Botox reduce my migraine rating

Rate this question

dodger

Question

5 answers to this question

Short answer:  Dont worry about a reduction due to medications.

Longer answer: 

I looked at the criteria and did not see anything about "response to medications"

You look for yourself, tho, dont take my words for it:   https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.124a

The critieria for reductions, however, is that they have to prove "actual improvement under ordinary conditions of life".  

Read it here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Well "ordinary" people dont take migraine medications to reduce the frequency of migraines.  I dont.  

For that reason, my opinion is that a judge would rule in your favor if the VA did a reduction purely on the bases of medications controlling your migraines and reducing their frequency to a lower criteria level.  

I use the "wooden leg" example.  Ok, so you lose your leg in an IED.  VA fits you with a wooden prosthesis, and you are able to do many things, eventually, with the prosthesis that you did in the past.  So, VA tries to reduce your "loss of use of leg" because you are just fine using the wooden leg, right?  NO!!!  If wooden legs could replace our natural legs and we could do all the same things we did before, then why dont they just amputate knee problem patients and give them all wooden legs?  Of course, the reason is because "even a human leg with some severe problems" is still better than a wooden leg.  Doctors dont cut off legs of people with knee arthritis, because they know they would realize how much they did miss that leg, and sue the doctor for cutting it off and win.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronc An even more common example, and there are many, is hearing aides. If you are rated for a hearing disability, and then they issue hearing aides to you, they don't then reduce your rating because of the hearing aides assistance. Wouldn't make sense.