VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stage 4 Prostrate cancer

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

I was just diagnosed with stage 4 Prostrate cancer, which has already spread to my bones in  lumbar spine in 4 small areas, and 1 small area my right thigh. There is no cure for stage 4 Prostrate cancer.  Average Life expediency is 5 years  after diagnosis.  I had not had my prostrate checked since I was 33 I am now 66.. you do the math.. It was not anything I had though about. My doctor told me any man age 50 and above needs to be checked yearly with the finger test ( ouch) or Urine test. This cancer is treatable and can be cured if caught in the early stages... Get your Prostate checked.  I had always though my Lungs would kill me....but we are all going to die sometime so it really doesn't matter what kills us...  I have had my affairs in order for some time.. but I still worry about my wife of 47+ years... This has hit her hard, so guys if you care at all.... get checked....

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Are you an incountry Vietnam Vet?  I forget?

Prostate cancer is presumptive to AO.

You are right- about men getting prostate check ups! 

I am so sorry to hear this Richard -----Stay as healthy as you can, as you already deal with a lot.

• HadIt.com Elder

Richard1954 I am sorry to hear the sad news too. As usual, you offer sound advise; guys get it checked. Ramp up all the quality time with your wife and family and those you love. Wish you the best.

• HadIt.com Elder

So sorry to hear this Richard1954, hopefully they can get it and you will be fine,.   sure hard to take something like this  especially from the VAMC Dr's...its a  long drive home and in shock, I can only imagine how you must feel   47 plus years of a good marriage is a wonderful thing  congratulations.

I've always had that dreadful feeling in the back of my mind this is what will get me.

I do have prostate problems myself  and have been checked yearly but not sure they check for cancer?  they did a long time ago 10/12 years  ago and it was benign.  but it can certainly turn for the worse.

They do the rectum exam (finger to the prostate area) for the last 3 or 4 years  mine is swelled up some  so the give me the Tumolusion or something like that, my scrotum has been bigger than usual lately  I need them to check that  no pain or soreness just uncomfortable walking running  ect,,ect,,,

But yes every Man Veteran or not should be check for this every year or every 6 months  so they can catch it in time.

So sorry to hear this about you Richard 1954  your post have always be right on and you look at the cfr's to dobble check   and you are always right on what you mention to veterans here on hadit...and I and Ms Tbird broncovet Thank you   you being a member here at hadit has help boo coos of Veterans.

Prayers sent your way Richard   always keep hope and your faith.

GOD Bless you and your family.

Sorry to hear this.  Im also upset the VA doc did not get you a psa test when you were 50, again at 55, and again at 60.  My VAMC did that.  You may have an 1151..."undiagnosed illness", that is, assuming you have been going to the VA regurarly.  

This said, Im not sure "I would accept" the doc's statement, "There is no cure for this."  There are things available "other than" conventional medicine.  

In my church I know 3 people who were given just months to live, and only 1 of those is deceased.  And the one that died had been told 25 years prior that she would die in 6 months.  I remember her very well.  She was an inspiration to all she met.  Many many people came to our church because they saw how her faith healed her.  She died of something besides cancer, 25 years later.  It might have been pneumonia, I can not recall.  

Edited by broncovet