Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

University closes, will VA education benefits stop

hurryupnwait
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

If a university closes due to coronavirus in mid term and a student is getting Chapter 35 payments,  will the VA stop paying them their education benefits?  We have a national emergency and many rules change when that happens.  Does anyone know what the VA plans to do?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

7 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

No. At the moment they are already working on this and have some things in place. Here is what I know from a contact in Voc at the RO. 

"BAH-- At this time, your stipend will continue as certified for the semester, even if your classes have gone online temporarily. If the school has closed entirely for the semester, you will have a 4 week allowance for BAH/subsistence but it will be discontinued after that time frame. IF your classes continue online past this term, your BAH rate will change to the online rate."

If the VA does pay for what was certified for the term that would be great.  Now, we have to ask the university if they plan on granting credits for the term.  Would not be a good situation to have the VA grant the payments, deduct that from the 45 months of benefits and have the university not count the credits  towards graduation.   This is for dependents Chapter 35 benefits.

30 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

No. At the moment they are already working on this and have some things in place. Here is what I know from a contact in Voc at the RO. 

"BAH-- At this time, your stipend will continue as certified for the semester, even if your classes have gone online temporarily. If the school has closed entirely for the semester, you will have a 4 week allowance for BAH/subsistence but it will be discontinued after that time frame. IF your classes continue online past this term, your BAH rate will change to the online rate."

This is a good question as to what VA will do-and what BrokenSoldier states makes sense.

However I did not receive what I would call a 'stipend' under Chap 35, I received a refund from the VA, of my tuition payments ,that had to be made before the courses began each semester.

Sounds like Chap 35 has sure  changed in that respect.

My husband attended Corning NY college under VA Voc Rehab  ( and received "a stipend") many years ago- I saw on the local TV station this AM that Corning is closing temporarily and will try to continue with online classes.

Hopefully VA will issue a Press Release on Chap 35 and Voc Rehab soon.

Nothing at their web site yet-

I was to only civilian at AMU- rest of students were enlisted and officers.

And maybe a few Voc Rehabers.

Maybe their web site has something on the GI Bill and how Corona will affect them-I will check.But AMU is an online University-

https://www.amu.apus.edu

checked:  their statement is

Covid-19 AMU Community Update - We regard the health and safety of our students as paramount. AMU remains fully operational, and university officials continue to monitor this evolving situation. Please visit our coronavirus webpage for the latest information.

Certainly some staff have to make changes, but due to the uniqueness of this university - they dont have to 'close' the school They also have good info for students who might get ill or are severely affected by the virus, in any way that would impact their studies.

I hope VA makes a statement soon as to other GI Billers who attend a traditional college campus.

My church has altered many things we do there already but our Sermons are at Yuku,too.

I have been a "greeter" for about 6 years but yesterday we did not greet with the bulletins, just left them for members to pick up themselves and we did not shake hands  or have hugs.

(except a teacher friend of mine hugged me, he had forgot about the virus,) as his wife and others were getting a preservice instruction on how to handle the church nursery and junior church situations.

Edited by Berta
added more

Great, knowledgeable advice!  

VA, like the colleges, are funded a year (at least) in advance.  So I couldnt imagine them saying, "Ok teachers and Vets.  We decided to make YOU pay for the corona virus epidimic by forefeiting your salary.  

Yes, Berta, our church changed also.  We no longer shake hands, we "fist bump".  Im not sure the old tradition of handshake will ever come back, even when this is over.  

Broncovet, 

We area small church-about 200 members ,including children, ,who are divided by two services ,Adult Sunday school and then a 6 PM service that

many attend as well.

Yesterday I did the 1100AM count and it was half of what we usually get.

There were no children in the nursery and only one child and two adults in Junior church.

I raised a question to one of our members ( the Minister who baptized me 6 years ago)

One of our long term members died his past week and the viewing and service is on Saturday.

That could fill our sanctuary with many, many more people. Many from the Bath VAMC , she was a retired VA nurse, as well as large family and their friends who are not member of our church.It is traditional as well that we prepare an after service meal for the family and often everyone who stays for the memorial service is invited.There is always plenty of food, that we all donate.

These types of problems will alter churches

He passed my concern  onto  my Pastor.

We do elbow bumps now.

We also have at least two or more pass a dish meals every month and I think that should definitely change as well.

The Flu is still around and I am still dealing with the fatigue that follows it.Only 3 of us got it so far in my church.

Edited by Berta

I look for things to get a lot worse before they get better, they are already making things some what hard on business ...like no more than 50 people in at a time  as to where it was about 150 people ect,,ect,,  collage classes will more likely be shut down completely as to lessen the crowd  this is what the CDC is asking the public to do,  not to be around a lot of people and condense the crowd down to no more than 50.....  now how they choose who is in? I am thinking first come first serve.

Chick fil la  Has closed their inside seating  until further notice  and I look for a lot more fast food chains to follow

All the professional sports teams have canceled the training camps and all the players are going home.

The CDC Chief of Staff  has said this pandemic can last for another 8 -16 weeks....  Mid July? or only when  the coronavirus moves on out and .

slows the infection rate will these restrictions be lifted.

So in reality everyone needs to accept this fact and take care of their families and themselves  and follow all the guidelines set with the CDC.

It's going to affect everyone worldwide.

This coronavirus covid-19 is certainly very serious and everyone needs to take all the precautions.  No Vaccine has been found or any drug that would combat this Horrible Virus as to date.

As I understand it CDC is working around the clock to hopefully find some answers. 

Well, the university decided to reopen with all classroom classes moved  to online classes and if a class can not be taught online then it will be dropped. They also have waived the additional online fee.  We had already registered for all online classes and now they are telling us that we must pay the fee. 

I guess what we could do is sign up for classroom classes that are free of fees  and drop the online classes.  But now, we were thinking that these new classes that were changed from classroom to online might be a poor idea because they could have a lot of problems.

I wrote an email to the Vice President of Student Services and basically said that all students should be exempt from online fees.   I did notice that many classes are only taught online that is why the university is saying that we need to pay. 

The term was shortened to 10 weeks, instead of 11.

My wife and son are receiving chapter 35 benefits and we are not sure how the VA is going to handle all these changes. 

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines