VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

University closes, will VA education benefits stop

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

If a university closes due to coronavirus in mid term and a student is getting Chapter 35 payments,  will the VA stop paying them their education benefits?  We have a national emergency and many rules change when that happens.  Does anyone know what the VA plans to do?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No. At the moment they are already working on this and have some things in place. Here is what I know from a contact in Voc at the RO. 

"BAH-- At this time, your stipend will continue as certified for the semester, even if your classes have gone online temporarily. If the school has closed entirely for the semester, you will have a 4 week allowance for BAH/subsistence but it will be discontinued after that time frame. IF your classes continue online past this term, your BAH rate will change to the online rate."

If the VA does pay for what was certified for the term that would be great.  Now, we have to ask the university if they plan on granting credits for the term.  Would not be a good situation to have the VA grant the payments, deduct that from the 45 months of benefits and have the university not count the credits  towards graduation.   This is for dependents Chapter 35 benefits.

30 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

No. At the moment they are already working on this and have some things in place. Here is what I know from a contact in Voc at the RO. 

"BAH-- At this time, your stipend will continue as certified for the semester, even if your classes have gone online temporarily. If the school has closed entirely for the semester, you will have a 4 week allowance for BAH/subsistence but it will be discontinued after that time frame. IF your classes continue online past this term, your BAH rate will change to the online rate."

This is a good question as to what VA will do-and what BrokenSoldier states makes sense.

However I did not receive what I would call a 'stipend' under Chap 35, I received a refund from the VA, of my tuition payments ,that had to be made before the courses began each semester.

Sounds like Chap 35 has sure  changed in that respect.

My husband attended Corning NY college under VA Voc Rehab  ( and received "a stipend") many years ago- I saw on the local TV station this AM that Corning is closing temporarily and will try to continue with online classes.

Hopefully VA will issue a Press Release on Chap 35 and Voc Rehab soon.

Nothing at their web site yet-

I was to only civilian at AMU- rest of students were enlisted and officers.

And maybe a few Voc Rehabers.

Maybe their web site has something on the GI Bill and how Corona will affect them-I will check.But AMU is an online University-

https://www.amu.apus.edu

checked:  their statement is

Covid-19 AMU Community Update - We regard the health and safety of our students as paramount. AMU remains fully operational, and university officials continue to monitor this evolving situation. Please visit our coronavirus webpage for the latest information.

Certainly some staff have to make changes, but due to the uniqueness of this university - they dont have to 'close' the school They also have good info for students who might get ill or are severely affected by the virus, in any way that would impact their studies.

I hope VA makes a statement soon as to other GI Billers who attend a traditional college campus.

My church has altered many things we do there already but our Sermons are at Yuku,too.

I have been a "greeter" for about 6 years but yesterday we did not greet with the bulletins, just left them for members to pick up themselves and we did not shake hands  or have hugs.

(except a teacher friend of mine hugged me, he had forgot about the virus,) as his wife and others were getting a preservice instruction on how to handle the church nursery and junior church situations.

Edited by Berta
added more

Great, knowledgeable advice!  

VA, like the colleges, are funded a year (at least) in advance.  So I couldnt imagine them saying, "Ok teachers and Vets.  We decided to make YOU pay for the corona virus epidimic by forefeiting your salary.  

Yes, Berta, our church changed also.  We no longer shake hands, we "fist bump".  Im not sure the old tradition of handshake will ever come back, even when this is over.  

Broncovet, 

We area small church-about 200 members ,including children, ,who are divided by two services ,Adult Sunday school and then a 6 PM service that

many attend as well.

Yesterday I did the 1100AM count and it was half of what we usually get.

There were no children in the nursery and only one child and two adults in Junior church.

I raised a question to one of our members ( the Minister who baptized me 6 years ago)

One of our long term members died his past week and the viewing and service is on Saturday.

That could fill our sanctuary with many, many more people. Many from the Bath VAMC , she was a retired VA nurse, as well as large family and their friends who are not member of our church.It is traditional as well that we prepare an after service meal for the family and often everyone who stays for the memorial service is invited.There is always plenty of food, that we all donate.

These types of problems will alter churches

He passed my concern  onto  my Pastor.

We do elbow bumps now.

We also have at least two or more pass a dish meals every month and I think that should definitely change as well.

The Flu is still around and I am still dealing with the fatigue that follows it.Only 3 of us got it so far in my church.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I look for things to get a lot worse before they get better, they are already making things some what hard on business ...like no more than 50 people in at a time  as to where it was about 150 people ect,,ect,,  collage classes will more likely be shut down completely as to lessen the crowd  this is what the CDC is asking the public to do,  not to be around a lot of people and condense the crowd down to no more than 50.....  now how they choose who is in? I am thinking first come first serve.

Chick fil la  Has closed their inside seating  until further notice  and I look for a lot more fast food chains to follow

All the professional sports teams have canceled the training camps and all the players are going home.

The CDC Chief of Staff  has said this pandemic can last for another 8 -16 weeks....  Mid July? or only when  the coronavirus moves on out and .

slows the infection rate will these restrictions be lifted.

So in reality everyone needs to accept this fact and take care of their families and themselves  and follow all the guidelines set with the CDC.

It's going to affect everyone worldwide.

This coronavirus covid-19 is certainly very serious and everyone needs to take all the precautions.  No Vaccine has been found or any drug that would combat this Horrible Virus as to date.

As I understand it CDC is working around the clock to hopefully find some answers.