VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible "VA" vet scam?

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Minutes ago I got a call from VA Healthcare System , on the caller ID.

I had called the Bath NY VA this AM but the person I needed wasn't there------the weekend crew could not help me.

The Bath VAMC #  is 607-664 4000- but all I could see was 607-664  - 5116, on the caller ID ,so I thought it was a VA extension number. 

It was a Robo call telling me they had overbilled me and to get my refund ,that would be on my Electric Bill, I had to press #1.

I hung up -these robo calls are a PITA!

I haven't been a VA patient for years due to CHAMPVA. And what the heck does my electric bill have to do with VA?

I googled the number and it shows someone who lives in Bath.Somehow these scamm ers can steal a phone number and scam with it.

If I get 607 calls I think it is someone from my church- but often it is just a scam.

The NY State Police have had someone scamming them as well. Monday I will call them about it.We have enough problems - all of the schools in Steuben COunty are closing on Wednesday for 2 weeks , and that is followed by the Easter break, parents are always prepared for. It is probably a good idea ,due to Corona, but parents who work only have a few days to get someone to watch their school kids all day.... for 2 weeks. 

6 answers to this question

Just called Bath VAMC- they are well aware of this local scam.

They are screening patients and visitors for the Corona Virus and doing all they can to get completely up to speed per CDC  advice.I assume this goes for every VA Hosp. or clinic , vet center etc, etc....

Also I get local questions from time to time on claims from vets or family members who do not use a PC.Maybe even a few members  here need this info---

The Bath VAMC has a VVA rep on site ( Vietnam Veterans of American) who can help with any type of claim, as well as the Steuben County NY Veterans Service Agency Rt 54, Bath NY and also the New York State Division of Veterans Affairs, right next to the Chapel at the Bath VAMC - best to call for appt first----they can be googled for contact info.

Edited by Berta

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

That's a new one. I am still getting the calls about my vehicle extended warranty or getting a better credit card interest rate. I report them to the FCC every time.

I'm starting to think the scammers are getting more sophisticated all the time!

Earlier today, I was researching NOVA attorneys online (collecting names & contact info), and even called a couple of them. Then, suddenly received an unexpected call from some woman claiming to represent a 'veterans advocacy group' called "Disability Health Group," who claimed I'd filled out an online form (er, NOT!), and said form sent them my information via email.

I asked her 'who sent them the email,' and she hung up, so I figured it was a scam call. Couple hours later, she called back (same caller ID number: "720-704-7978"--a Colorado number, similar to mine), saying the same thing. To be on the safe side, I simply told her I prefer to make the contacts, myself, as there is no way to vet cold callers over the phone.

I ran a couple of Internet searches for that 'business name,' and nothing came up, either time.

I certainly hope no one else responds positively to such scam calls! Please, just tell them you can't vet them over the phone, and any legitimate business will understand.

Stay safe out there, people!!! The Internet can pose more danger than we know!

Edited by Cat4Christ777
Added pertinent information

I started getting calls about a year ago regards my diabetes and my Medicare, both of which, I a do not have.  I am not sure what triggered that, but, I get the calls between 9 and 10 in the morning.  I can tell because there is a pause after I say hello, which means they are calling multiple numbers at the same time and waiting for which ones get answered.

Probably, one of your searches or phone numbers you called have an automatic number gathering computer system that gets them revenue for your info.  Almost all have it, even the government contacts you make.  Everything sells now.

My cousin and I have done this a few times this year on purpose to prove that our smartphones are listening to use when they are in our pockets.  We have a discussion about something non common, i.e., excavator with wore out bucket pins and the next day we have wore out pin shim kit adverts in our emails.  We have done it a couple times, and if it wasn't real scary, it's actually funny.

Next time you have lunch with a friend, set your smartphones on the table and say pineapple a couple hundred times and see what shows up on your email ads and google search ads, the next day, LOL.

I'm pretty sure my toaster is not listening to me, but everything else is fair game,

Hamslice

I plug my smartphone into my new truck and my truck becomes my smart phone.  More to come.

The best puchase I have made in the past few months - was to get a ROBOcall Blocker, for my land line phone.

I never get robocalls on my cell phone, but my neighbor does , constantly.

I have had two calls recently ,with different phone numbers,  recently from men who say they are from "The United States Medicare Company" and they both  had a foreign accent.

The Roboblocker is preprogramed with many of these scam calls, already,  but If I answer the call , and it is not a programed call, I can press two numbers on my phone pad and they are blocked completely, for good.

Also the first 3 numbers of my phone number I am on has a very small amount of customers, here in a very isolated rural environment. Many people answer those calls thinking they are a local person calling-but  they are scams.

I am on all of the Do Not Call lists but they are useless lists.

A lot of these calls are from other countries. The phones they use go through the internet and the spoof the phone number. If you think of the phrase garbage in, garbage out, this is what they do to get your caller ID to present a fake number. They can use a phone data base purchased over the internet for 250-1200+ dollars that show the zip code you live at. Then they auto dial everyone in the zip code using the fake caller ID info. 

Funny when they call me they always get the county morgue. I ask them why would the county morgue need death insurance? They get so flustered.