VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Versus Depression

Rate this question

emmak

Question

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not many Docs will admit it to patients but almost anyone who has a lifelong disabling condition usually has a co morbid condition of depression. Some of the Meds they give us contribute to it also.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know the VA is big on doing these screens for PTSD now. A few years ago it was doing screens for chronic pain and depression to help stop suicides. Nothing lasts with these guys and they just respond to the latest problem in the news or pressure from congress or media.

• HadIt.com Elder

Enmark

If you have more than one mental disorder the co-morbidity of having more than one disorder makes full recovery less likely. This helps regarding P&T and seems to me to indicate more severe problems for the vet which should translate to more compensation. It did in my case. They rate the disorder that is the worst, but if you have PTSD, depression and agoraphobia, for example, that paints a bleaker picture than just one disorder. The degree that your symptoms interfere with your work and social life are the main things. If you don't go out of the house, have no friends and don't work because of depression that is enough without adding other disorders to the mix. In my experience, the main thing in mental disorders is "Can you work and support yourself".