VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combined Rating Wrong

Rate this question

arizonavet85

Question

Long time lurker and wanted to ask a question I cannot find or word properly.

I have my rating sheet (provided to me from the DAV) and recently received an increase. I had used the combined rating table and the numerous calculators to see if what my rating would be with the change. I keep coming up with 95% rounding to 100% Can I please have others check my work to ensure I’m correct and then the most important part, I cannot find what/who can review and change this (hoping to avoid a 6 month waiting period but understand if that’s what needs to happen). Essentially the steps to take should I be correct. Thank You in advance for double checking my work.

Mental Health 70% (my increase)

Back 40%

L Arm 20% (bilateral factor)

R Arm 20% (bilateral factor)

Left Leg 10% (bilateral factor)

Right Leg 10% (bilateral factor)

Gerd 10%

Tinnitus 10%

L Leg (separate from above) 10%

My math takes those ratings with the bilators factors into account (for the two ratings); The problem is Ebennies and the DAV systems show me 90% combined.

OK, here is the deal.

I just went on the HIll calculator.

You need to but your disabilities in the order I did above and it will come out at 90%.  If you put them in the way you did they will come out at 100%.

According to the regulation, you add bilat's first, highest to lowest, then add bilat factor, then regular ratings, highest to lowest.

I personally use the chart with a sharp pencil.  

You can't go wrong that way.

The calculator only works if you put the numbers in the correct format.

You need another 10.  Welcome to the 90%'s. It's a bitch,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice

Thank You for the help in understanding bilateral. I was not aware the 10 percent for my leg other leg condition gets rolled into the bilateral factor; missing that 10% kills the 95. I do have a few issues on HLR that I will post about for opinions. But Im almost there! Once again thank you for breaking down how bilateral are determined and calculated!

I hope it's OK to jump on here.  I had a related question about how the calculators round.   Also i don't understand how the bilateral thing works.  My current ratings are

70 PTS/50 apnea/20 back/10 GERD/10 tinnitus/10 clavicle/10 sciatica RL/10 sciatica LL.  The straight math is 92.91. I didn't make any adjustments for bilateral sciatica I have an appeal in that may take the GERD to 30%.

that by my straight math comes out to a 94.49.  however, when i use a calculator like the CCK, i enter 70 (PTS), 50 (apnea), 30 (GERD), 20 (back), 10 left leg, 10 right leg and 10 tinnitus, it displays 100%.  I didnt even include the 10% clavicle yet.

what am I missing?

Edited by Grilla79

• HadIt.com Elder

I didn't do the math, but use the VA chart/table. Just start off by doing  the bilateral disabilities first, then highest ratings to lowest.

https://www.va.gov/VA-combined-ratings-table-2019.pdf

.ty

SO i should enter 70 pts 50 OSA 30 GERD 20 back 19 left and right sciatica 10 clavicle 10 tinnitus ?

btw i tried this using the excel calculating spreadsheet i use and got exactly the same answer for my current rating 92.91

but if i try it with an aspirational 30% rating for GERD, 

70 - 50-30-20-19-10-10 is p4.49

but 70-50-30-20-19-10-10 = 95.04 (winner winner).

at least now i understand why the calculators rounded to 100%. still gotta get the GERD 30% .  I have the 4th C&P for that coming up.  THe BVA Appeal was remanded and I had C&P #3, however my legal rep wrote a note and we submitted an IMO and it resulted in another remand with a note that the #3 C & P did not do a complete review.  wonders never cease.

Edited by Grilla79

• HadIt.com Elder

This is just spitballin', but with all that going on, including tinnitus and pain, you might consider a MH disability. Quiet possible you have limited social interaction because of them. I'd check into the cfr on depression and/or anxiety if I were you. Easily could be a 10% rating or even 30%.