VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back pay calculation

Rate this question

Doc8482M8404

Question

How would you estimate your backpay for a 30 month 50% back pay award? 
I was at 60% at time of claim but know im at 90% by skin of my teeth. 
I’m looking for a rough amount to know if we can start remodeling our mold infested bathroom

thanks 

4 answers to this question

The difference in amount between your 60% payment and your 90% payment, multiplied by 29 months since you don't get paid for the month that an award actually happens. 

You can only estimate by multiplying 29 months times the difference, because that will change each year with Cola, and, with your dependents changes, such as a child becoming 18.  

How I figured mine out was to do a spreadsheet.  For example if the differnce in Month 1 was 703 dollars per month then I put the date and 703.  I did that the following month, and changed it to adjust for Cola.  

Then, on the spreadsheet, you just "add up the column of numbers" and your computer will do it for you.  You will have to figure it out each year because it changes each year we have a Cola.  

It really did not take me that long to type in 23 months into my spreadsheet and click "add them up", even tho I am certainly not an expert with spreadsheets.  

I then printed that off and sent it for an audit, as it turns out my retro was off by 5 figures (that is,  more than 10,000 dollars).    I recommend each Veteran "check" to see if their retro was correct.  VA has no problem hornswaggling you on retro if they think they can get away with it.  In other words, if I paid for something with a 100 dollar bill, and VA gave me change, you can bet I would count every penny.    Mostly, the VA knows many/most Veterans cant or wont check their retro to see if its accurate.  

I learned the hard way to not trust VA.  They have proven time and time again that my lack of trust for them was fully justified.  

Edited by broncovet

11 hours ago, broncovet said:

You can only estimate by multiplying 29 months times the difference, because that will change each year with Cola, and, with your dependents changes, such as a child becoming 18.  

How I figured mine out was to do a spreadsheet.  For example if the differnce in Month 1 was 703 dollars per month then I put the date and 703.  I did that the following month, and changed it to adjust for Cola.  

Then, on the spreadsheet, you just "add up the column of numbers" and your computer will do it for you.  You will have to figure it out each year because it changes each year we have a Cola.  

It really did not take me that long to type in 23 months into my spreadsheet and click "add them up", even tho I am certainly not an expert with spreadsheets.  

I then printed that off and sent it for an audit, as it turns out my retro was off by 5 figures (that is,  more than 10,000 dollars).    I recommend each Veteran "check" to see if their retro was correct.  VA has no problem hornswaggling you on retro if they think they can get away with it.  In other words, if I paid for something with a 100 dollar bill, and VA gave me change, you can bet I would count every penny.    Mostly, the VA knows many/most Veterans cant or wont check their retro to see if its accurate.  

I learned the hard way to not trust VA.  They have proven time and time again that my lack of trust for them was fully justified.  

Thank You Broncovet!! ill be working on that, we’re praying that I’ll get my TDIU also. 
May Gods blessings fill your your everyday 

dennis