VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Submitted claim for Sleep Apnea secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

pyrotaz

Question

After a lot of research on the 18th I submitted my claim for Sleep Apnea secondary to PTSD. I waited a while due to the fact I wanted another sleep study done by the VA. Had that completed and placed on a Cpap machine. After doing many months of research I found that many Sleep Apnea secondary to PTSD claims were won by having a nexus letter  written by a doctor stating  that their PTSD at least likely as not aggravated there Sleep Apnea and that their Sleep Apnea as least likely at not aggravated their PTSD.  This is the way my Doctor and my counselor wrote them. I also found 18 studies on PTSD and Sleep apnea . I will keep you all updated and hope to be able to post positive results and then will share with everyone all my links and documents I found as soon as I get a moment to organize them.  

5 answers to this question

If you go the aggravation route, be careful.

You (doctor) not only have to show PTSD aggravated the sleep apnea, but you must show a baseline of how severe the Apnea was before the aggravation and what is the current level of apnea after the PTSD aggravation.

This is a primary reason secondary aggravation claims are denied.

I agree with Fat. I had tried to get migraines secondary to PTSD. The examiners opined that PTDS does not cause migraines. Could be the same in your case. Are you taking meds for PTSD or any other med for your service connected disabilities? Does the meds side effect causes weight gain? Does weight gain causes sleep apnea? I would look at the meds and like members in the group say, try to get an Imo/ime.