VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Milktoast VSO response

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

All,

So, since I have had the VFW as my POA, for the VA, since my original claim, I figured, I would ask them for a little help.  My thoughts were that most everything is local (regional) and that a service rep from my state of WI would have acquired supreme knowledge of Wisconsin claims.  So, I emailed the person who I have been with since, again, my original claim 2 questions.  

First, my email,

Hello, my name is xxxx xxxxx, ***-**-***7.  I am life member of the VFW and have your organization as my POA for my VA claims.  I live in ******* and my CVSO is **** **********.

I am inquiring to know if there is a list of WI doctors that will do IME/IMO's for disabled Veterans?

Also, does your office keep a file on me and is that available to me.

Thank you,

The response I received,

Xxxxx,

We do not maintain a list of doctors.  You can ask your VA primary care physician for a referral if more convenient.  If this does not work, you can take a VA disability questionnaire to a private doctor and submit as evidence for any claim/appeal.

We currently maintain your VA file.   The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) allows you to obtain your file by sending a written/signed request to the VA.  The VA will send your files on a CD.

Kind regards, Xxxxxxxxxxx

The response tells me that the VSO's (this one anyway) are not helping Veterans in any effective way.  If I was in a position to help disabled Veterans for an entire state, I would look at the successful claims and see what Doctors helped Veterans and who are willing fill out DBQ's, and give them out.  Here is my breakdown,

"We do not maintain a list of doctors."- Well, that's just plain stupid and irresponsible.  Any, slip and fall lawyer has a list of "go-to" doctors.  I would actually have a database which would tell me that doctor A is 75% effective, B is 20% effective, and C is worthless, etc.

"You can ask your VA primary care physician for a referral if more convenient."- Really, so my VA PCP will refer me to a doc that will fill out a DBQ.  I don't think so, but I am going to give it a try next time I see her.  LOL.

"If this does not work, you can take a VA disability questionnaire to a private doctor and submit as evidence for any claim/appeal."- Good luck with that.  Hence, you have access to at least a third of all VA claims in WI and you can't do your homework and supply me with a list.  If private business worked this way we would all be in trouble.  When I ran a parts store many moons ago, if a supplier would not get what I wanted, I found another, etc..

Then, on my second question, apparently, they have no more than I have in my c-file disc.  And there is no correspondence from or to the VFW in my c-file, so my question I have asked before.  My thoughts here are, in my many claims, not once did the VSO call me and say, hey, you could do better if you went this way instead, or, I see you filled for A, and then later filed for B, I think you also could file for C.  Crickets......

I may write a letter to the VFW headquarters or OIC. I don't believe this response was adequate in any way.

What do the actually do,

Hamslice

I truly believe the government would go broke if the paid out everything they owed all the Veterans what they are due.  I think the VSO's are just a cog in a big plan.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think I would use a VSO if he is paid by the VA. Veterans need to ask up front if their VSO is paid by the VA in ANYWAY.

I''D CHOOSE SOMEONE WHO IS NOT.

While doing some research regarding VSO's, I learned of the 48 hour rule.  I did not know of that before.  Talk about a great tool, that apparently VSO's don't use.  Just think of what could be fixed up front, instead of all the appeals.

If I pull my POA and become my own advocate, will the rater shoot me a copy and give me 48 hours to make corrections or bring errors to their attention?

I think not, but will have to do some more looking,

FWIW,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Hamslice I don't think you can pull your POA   revoking a POA is hard to do, now if you hiring an attorney they can send your present POA a letter revoking their service...but its hard for a veteran to revoke his/her POA.

FROM WHAT i UNDERSTAND!

4 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Hamslice I don't think you can pull your POA   revoking a POA is hard to do, now if you hiring an attorney they can send your present POA a letter revoking their service...but its hard for a veteran to revoke his/her POA.

FROM WHAT i UNDERSTAND!

Buck,

You may be correct. 

But what if a Veteran (not someone already in the system) just went online and filed out a claim form and sent it in by himself. 

Wonder what would happen..

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Well if he never had a POA one would more than likely be assigned to him.,but he could work his own claim without a POA.

i WORKED MY CLAIM BY MYSELF WITH HADIT HELP OF COURSE  UNTIL I HAD TO GO INTO A DRO Hearing at my R.O.

BUT THIS WAS 18 YEARS   AGO. and they recommended I need a POA to rep me  this is when I hireed DAV.  for my POA and found out its hard to revoke their POA

Edited by Buck52